How to transfer lines of txt from one sheet to another sheet?

Solved/Closed
Mike - Feb 10, 2015 at 04:55 PM
 Mike - Feb 24, 2015 at 04:52 PM
Hello,

I have an excel file that has 2 sheets of relevant information that I need excel to logically determine line up and from there automaticly copy and paste the relevant line information to another sheet (sheet 3). The information is a mixture of words and number. Is there any easy formula I can use to do this?

A quick example would be the following:

Sheet 1 - Has a list of 350 words in column 1. Next to each of those 350 words has 10 more columns of relevant information associated with each line. (This is the database of information we would pull from).
Sheet 2 - This would only have 10 words, but all 10 of those words would line up in some fashion with 10 out of the 350 words on sheet 1. Each 10 of those words should be considered a different value. Information on this sheet changes daily so I want to be able to copy and paste in Sheet 2 everyday.

Sheet 3 - Once Excel determines that a word lines up from sheet 2 to sheet 1 I want to be able to copy and paste the entire line of text from sheet 1 and copy and paste it into sheet 3.

Hopefully this makes sense. I can provide a live file and provide more information if needed.

Thank you!

Related:

2 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Feb 16, 2015 at 12:08 PM
Hi Mike,

Let me see if I get what you are trying to do:

Once a day you want to check the 10 values from sheet 2 (A2:A11?) and look them up on sheet 1 (column A?). This will result in 10 rows of data from sheet 1, that you want to copy to sheet 3. The next day you want to add another 10 rows to the existing ones and so on ....

Providing your file, without sensitive information, is always handy to see if there is anything that might ruin an otherwise good solution.

Best regards,
Trowa
Thank you for agreeing to take a look Trowa. The file has been uploaded here:

http://www.speedyshare.com/CrJEg/For-Excel-Helper-Game-Plan.xlsx

If you could work into this excel and provide me with a workable version back that would be amazing. Below is a live example of what I need.

Live Example:

This is for basketball games. Sheet two has information of what teams are playing who. For example in first game Towson & Drexel (Cell C1 & C2) are playing each other. In Sheet 1 there stats of each team (Towson & Drexel and many others). Information on both sheets will change everyday, but the formatting will stay the same so we need to create a logical formula to say the following:

The Formula should start in Sheet3-B3
"When Sheet 2 C1 (in this case Towson) lines up with any name between Sheet 1 B1 though B367 (In this case Towson is Sheet1255) THEN Copy and paste that entire line (in this case Sheet1 A255-Sheet1 U255) into Sheet3 starting in cell B3.

In Sheet 3 - I went ahead and copy and pasted what I want the final result to look like. Now I want this to do it over and over again until sheet 2 runs out of games.

Does this make sense?
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Feb 19, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Hi Mike,

Yes that makes sense, I just found a double entry in C47 of Sheet2 (Wisconsin Milwaukee). Is that a mistake or is it something that can happen? and if so, then how would you like to handle it.

Best regards,
Trowa
Hi Trowa,

That is actually a team name (Two words in one). This may happen from time to time where the team name in sheet two will not line up with sheet 1 exactly. In this example for Sheet 2 C47 Wisconisin Milwaukee is just Milwaukee in Sheet1 241. In this case just program it to look for Wisconisin Milwaukee and I will have to manually change it in Sheet 1. Thank you so much for your help!

PS - this will also happen for things like: Colorado State will be Colorado St. in sheet 1.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you again!

-Mike
Feb 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Hi Mike,

The easiest way would be to use the VLOOKUP formula. But for that the search value (Team) should be in the left most column.

In your file below I have switched column A and B of Sheet 1 and entered the VLOOKUP formula in Sheet 3.

http://ge.tt/1vKrA1B2/v/0?c

See if you can work with the result, otherwise you will have to ask me kindly to write a code for you ;).

Best regards,
Trowa

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are usually the days I'll respond. Bear this in mind when awaiting a reply.
Thank you very much!! This is perfect.