Dell Inspiron 15 won't turn on

Solved/Closed
Blakerman17 Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday January 28, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 30, 2015 - Jan 28, 2015 at 05:40 PM
 joebeewan - Sep 20, 2019 at 02:05 AM
Hi,
I have an Inspiron 15 5000 series and I was having trouble with the display. I turn on my laptop and then I login but after I login all I see is my mouse icon with nothing else. I tried a solution that I found on here earlier but now my laptop won't turn on. Any solutions for either of my problems would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Related:

3 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jan 29, 2015 at 08:57 PM
Ok - its great that your machine is not dead!

Can you start it in safe mode? ... to get there try this -

1) When you boot to the login screen, hold down the SHIFT key and click on Restart. This will take you to the troubleshooting option screen where you can enable Safe Mode.
2) Click on the Troubleshoot button.
3) Select Advanced Options.
4) Now choose the Windows Startup Settings option.
5) Finally hit the Restart button.

This should let you into the Advanced Boot Options screen. Choose Safe Mode (using the arrow keys) and hit the Enter Key. When it eventually opens dont worry if the icons look big and the screen shows wierd colours - it may be using different graphice settings in Safe Mode.

If you get there and you can see a desktop and the start button works then it is possibly a startup program/service that is causing this issue - perhaps you installed new software, or a driver has been updated. You can try now to use System Restore to take oyu to a time where you know the machine worked. I prefer to use the restore point before the date you know works. It might also be worth performing a virus check before the restore - assuming it lets you.

Let me know how you get on.
Blakerman17 Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday January 28, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 30, 2015
Jan 30, 2015 at 12:50 PM
Hi BrianGreen,
I tried what you told me and it worked flawlessly. Thank you so much for your help.
-Blakeman17
Worked great after I turned the computer completely off then held the shift button while I restarted the computer. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!