Connecting an anolog phone to a modemrouter

Closed
Scandy_B Posts 13 Registration date Saturday October 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 28, 2015 - Jan 27, 2015 at 04:50 AM
 Blocked Profile - Jan 28, 2015 at 11:48 AM
Hello,

I just configured my internet, and at the moment I have the following modemrouter:
WLAN Router with Modem TP-LINK TD-W9980B

I have VDSL internet, without a splitter. So the modemrouter is directly connected to the phone line output in my wall by a RJ11 cable.

The modemrouter has 4 ethernet (RJ45) outputs, but no phone (RJ11) output.

So my question is: can I connect my analog phone device (with an RJ11 input) to this modemrouter somehow?

I have an RJ11 to RJ45 cable, but I think it's only meant to connect the other way around if you have a splitter. Also I've read somewhere that you could just plug an RJ11 into an ethernet port and it will plug in. But would my modemrouter be able to transmit a phone signal to my phone through an ethernet output?

Thank you for your help.

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jan 27, 2015 at 08:44 AM
OK, yes you can put a phone on the back end of that modem. Any other phone lines attached to the ADSL circuit, should have a ADSL filter out of the wall, as to knock out the ADSL noise. The modem already has one built into it.

Get rid of your RJ45 to RJ11 cable, that is a hardware nightmare that you are risking hardware damages if not used correctly.

There is only one circumstance that would make that usable, and that is a wiring technician that didn't have a RJ11 jack, used a 45 for dial tone. Otherwise, it shouldn't be made as they are not even close to being pinned to standards!
Scandy_B Posts 13 Registration date Saturday October 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 28, 2015
Jan 27, 2015 at 09:24 AM
So does it mean I can just plug in my phone using the RJ11-RJ11 cable into the ethernet port of my modem and the phone will work?
Blocked Profile
Jan 27, 2015 at 10:10 AM
NO, there should be two RJ-11 ports, one for into the modem, and one out. Plug the RJ-11 of phone into RJ-11 of modem.

If the modem does not have two RJ-11, then you do need an ADSL filter to split out the phone line from the same jack.
Scandy_B Posts 13 Registration date Saturday October 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 28, 2015 > Blocked Profile
Jan 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM
As you can see here: https://www.conrad.de/de/p/wlan-router-mit-modem-tp-link-td-w9980b-integriertes-modem-adsl-adsl2-vdsl-24-ghz-5-ghz-600-mbits-1179018.html

The modemrouter I'm using has only one VDSL (RJ11) port, where the main connection goes. So no, it doesn't have two RJ11 ports.

So what you're saying is I can only split up the signal from the original jack in my wall? And I cannot connect my phone directly to the modem.
Blocked Profile
Jan 27, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Your ISP should provide you with a splitter for the wall. A single RJ-11 in, and two out, one filtered to drop the dsl signal.
Scandy_B Posts 13 Registration date Saturday October 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 28, 2015
Jan 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM
My provider doesn't provide a splitter, but suggest you buy or rent their own router, which does have an additional phone connector. But I tried to spare some money by buying a different router than the one they suggested (it's like 50 euro cheaper). I was hoping I could still connect the phone to the router somehow.

But thanks for your help.