Home WiFi suddenly not showing on network list

Closed
BabyPanda93 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday January 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 8, 2015 - Jan 8, 2015 at 07:04 PM
BabyPanda93 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday January 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 8, 2015 - Jan 8, 2015 at 07:43 PM
My mother has a computer in the living room and the internet/router is plugged in it and I've used it for mobile devices and laptops for years now without any problem.

Until today.

So now I have a computer in my bedroom (not a laptop, an actual computer, but my old laptop was also used in my bedroom fyi) and when I had left for work at 11am everything was fine, I put my computer to sleep and left, like I always do when I go to work.

When I came back home at 4:30pm and woke my computer up, it wasn't automatically connected like it usually was. So I opened the network list to manually do it and the home wifi wasn't even on the list anymore. I went to the living room to check the modem and router and EVERYTHING was A-OKAY, all plugged in properly, all working, etc. I checked on my android mobile and the home network was listed as "not in range" and so did my mother's mobile (we both have the same phone model).

PS: I work on Windows 8.1
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 8, 2015 at 07:31 PM
It's common for wifi routers to burn out their transmitter after 3 or 4 years.

You might try to unplug the router's power supply for 5 minutes and see if it resets otherwise it looks like you will need to replace the router.

Good luck
BabyPanda93 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday January 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 8, 2015
Jan 8, 2015 at 07:43 PM
I did not know that, so I told my mother and she said she might try to call tomorrow. Since it's a rented one, in the end, it'll be the company decision if they want to change it or not. Curiously, in my network list I found the home wifi with _media added after the name. No clue what it means but it worked so for now it's okay, but it's still not working on cell phones though nor my 2DS.

Anyway, thanks for your input!