Can't open regedit

Solved/Closed
gaurav - Updated on Jan 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM
 sam - Jul 28, 2010 at 01:05 AM
Hi,

I am unable to open the regedit command. It has been disabled please tell such command or any other thing to open the regedit.

Thank you!

System Configuration: Windows XP
Internet Explorer 6.0
Related:

1 response

Hi,
  • Go to Run and type gpedit.msc
  • Click on administrative template > double click on system > double click Prevent access
  • To registry editing tools, click Not configure or disable.
  • Then Apply then click OK.

Thanks!
Hey,
I read your reply to another individual with regedit probs.

Sounds like you have an easy solution there, however, I do not even have that executable "gpedit.msc"

System tells me it's not anywhere on my hard drive.

Would you have an answer to how I can get this executable? I don't have the PRO edition of XP, only the
home edition.

Thanks,
ziera
Earlier this month I got the really bad av virus. No programs, and I mean NO PROGRAMS of mine would run. So all the solutions of using the internet would obviously not work. The easiest way to fix your executibles, which after hours of searching I found, is:

CTRL-ALT-DELETE for Task Manager.
Then click on File in the upper left.
Hold CTRL and click New Task (Run).
Enter REGEDIT.EXE in the black box that pops up, you don't need to go to the next line or anything.
Press Enter.
Now, you should have successfully opened up Regedit! (I was unable to through any normal means because it was an executable)
On the left, there should be a folder named HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Click on that.
Scroll down until you find the .exe folder.
Click on that, and look in the right panel. The first item on the list for me was the problem. This was the (Default) file, and under Data on the right, it said secfile. This is why no executables were working!
Now you right click on (Default), and press Modify.
Under Value Data, change it from whatever it is, (mine was secfile), to exefile.
Press Ok.

HOPEFULLY now your computer is back!! Run any antivirus programs now, or whatever you want to do. Hope this helps!