L500 immediately shuts off

Closed
Schauboffthebench Posts 2 Registration date Thursday December 11, 2014 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2014 - Dec 11, 2014 at 04:22 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Dec 13, 2014 at 04:16 PM
Hello,

My Toshiba Satellite Pro L500 shuts down automatically every time I try to turn it on. I suspect this is a hardware problem because:

- It makes a sound that normally it only makes when you shut down manually
- When I manage to keep it running long enough to get into start up repair, it dies midway through loading the repair program
- certain indicator lights do not come on the way they should. Normally, there are four lights flashing on the front of the machine when it is running although I am not sure what they indicate.
- the computer is now 5 years old and I have been running it pretty hard. It's battery no longer really works, the ground pin on the power cable fell out, and the case is all munched up. That being said, I clean the fan pretty regularly.

I have already tried fixing the on/off switch by holding it down with the power source removed. I do not think a sticky on/off switch is the problem. I have also tried unplugging the computer and letting it sit for a while, but this has no effect.

I am stumped. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Dec 12, 2014 at 04:57 AM
Another sad Toshiba story and a very bad state.

Now your power supply is fried!

If I were you, I would not be stumped. I would purchase another lappy and certainly not a Toshiba.
schauboffthebench
Dec 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Hi Ambucias,

Can you explain why you suspect that the power supply is fried? Is it related to the missing ground prong? Do computers have a ground fault interruptor, or would such a fault have caused a piece to fail?

Besides ground fault and overheat, what other problems would result in emergency shutoff?
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Dec 12, 2014 at 04:10 PM
Because I experienced the same issue.

Do computers have a ground fault interruptor Not to my knowledge.

Power surge may cause to shut.
Schauboffthebench Posts 2 Registration date Thursday December 11, 2014 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2014
Dec 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM
So I went round to the local repair shop, and it turns out that not only was your diagnosis of 'fried power supply' was wrong, but the problem was fixable at low cost, so your recommendation that I throw out my computer and buy a new one would have been decidedly more expensive. I suppose it's a good thing you aren't passing yourself off as an expert on a computer support forum or anything. Thanks!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170 > Schauboffthebench Posts 2 Registration date Thursday December 11, 2014 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2014
Dec 13, 2014 at 04:16 PM
Thanks for telling me what the problem was, this way i will remain an amateur.

P.S. Replacing a power supply does not cost much to replace and I never said to replace your machine. In any event you would had to go to the repair shop.