Nintendo Wii Internet thru Mobile Broadband

Solved/Closed
EL_MO - Mar 15, 2009 at 06:03 PM
 jj - Nov 11, 2013 at 08:12 AM
Hello,

I recently purchased a Nintendo Wii and am trying to get it connected to the internet. I use the Verizon Mobile USB Broadband for my laptop and want to know if there is a way I can pick up this signal on my Wii?
Related:

6 responses

purushotham reddy
Aug 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Hi,

I have same problem. I am trying to connect wii internet through the Wireles broadband. If any one has answer please let me know.
i did it with my ps3, u have 2 create a bridge between ur broadband modem, and a wired connection [ethernet cable]... 4 step by step info ask at thebamster17@yahoo.com...
HERE IS THE TEXT FROM TO POST SO YOU DONT HAVE TO REGISTER TO VIEW
I think I've solve the problem, in my case at least.

WORKING! Connect Wii to Internet using Mobile Broadband Connection
WORKING! Connect Wii to Internet using USB Modem
Also applies to PSP/DS/DSi/Xbox360

On the host computer, follow these steps to share the Internet connection:

1.Log on to the host computer as Administrator or as Owner.
2.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3.Click Network and Internet Connections.
4.Click Network Connections.
5.Right-click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet ( In my case the Vodafone Mobile Connection ). For example, if you connect to the Internet by using a modem, right-click the connection that you want under Dial-up.
6.Click Properties.
7.Click the Advanced tab.
8.Under Internet Connection Sharing, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
9.If you are sharing a dial-up Internet connection, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box if you want to permit your computer to automatically connect to the Internet.
10.Click OK. You receive the following message: When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP
address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet Connection Sharing?
11.Click Yes.

The instructions above are good for the Host side. The only part I have different is the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet is not checked on mine, I dial up on the PC before attempting connection on the Wii but it might work for you.

Also, ensure that under 'Home Networking Connection' that 'Local Area Connection' is selected ( this is the wired connection to you router).

( UPDATE: automatic dial didn't work for me so I just manually do it before trying to connect Wii/PSP/DS/Xbox360 to internet )

Wii Setup
-----------

On the Wii side "automatic detection" is not good. Has worked but is very hit and miss, once in a blue moon for me, so I set the values manually.

IP Address
192.168.0.2 ( Last number can be any unique number in range 2 - 255 )

Subnet Mask

Default Router
192.168.0.1 ( Must be this when sharing internet connection )

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

I have a Linksys WRT54GS v5.1 with default settings ( return to factory defaults by holding the reset button for about 20 seconds ). Hence no firewall or security settings.

Connects 99.9% of the time now. The 0.1% could be just poor signal on my Vodafone Mobile Broadband dongle. I even connected my PSP using the same method. Works fine. Also my NDS can now go online with the above method. So too can my Xbox360, although this is wired to my router and so DHCP seems to work ok for it too.

As a sanity check I hooked up another old wireless router, a ZyXEL P-660HW-D1 instead of the Linksys, also reset to factor defaults. This works fine too.

Happy Days. Next step is to enable WEP/WPA security and try it out but I don't expect any issues here.

Hope this helps some people.

UPDATE: WEP working ok. WPA working ok ( NDS doesn't support this ).

Did try WPA2 but PSP doesn't support this. So WEP is needed to cover all consoles.

Forgot to say how I originally got the above settings. When I wired my Xbox360 to the router it correctly setup automatically with those settings so tried them on the Wii ( with unique IP address ). It was the 'Primary DNS' setting that I had been missing on previous attempts, I had just left this blank.

NOTE: if you need to connect to your router then you need to uncheck the box 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection' and disconnect from the internet. Otherwise, for me anyway I cannot connect to my router to change security settings etc. Just re-check the box before dialing back up and trying to connect your console to the internet again.

My Wii v4.2E. Tried on v4.1E also works.
why want my verzion usb wireless internet work on my wii I got it connected can u help me out thank u
I had a mobile broadband modem hooked up to my MacBook and used it to get my Wii on the net by creating a temporary wireless network. I imagine the fundementals would be similar on any laptop. In dot point summary:
-connect your laptop to internet
-in network options (whatever it is called, probably under control panel) set up a network, call it something simple and, if you like, give it a simple password
-there should be some option to share your internet connection over this laptop, enable it.
-turn on PS3 and search for wirless networks, you should find your laptop and, voila! be able to hook it up to network and therefore, the internet

I know this isn't very details or specific, but I hope it helps!
hey I did every you said and it still doesnt work it just says unable to find an acces point when it does the connection test
This worked great for me! Thanks for the tips!
did not work

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i got a secondhand wii and would like to get onto internet, the problem is it has a password on it and I dont know it can anyone help me please?
I purchased a Cradle point MBR1000 and used it to create a wireless network in my house. Wii will pick up signal.