External HDD no longer works on my machine, but works on others'

Closed
MH_Duke Posts 1 Registration date Saturday November 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 22, 2014 - Nov 22, 2014 at 03:54 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Nov 22, 2014 at 04:25 PM
2 weeks ago i accidentally deleted some data from my external hard drive. then i had to do data recovery, the problem started when i cancelled the data recovery operation. Now my problem is that the external hard drive is no longer detectable\usable on that specific computer i had the data recovery operation running on, although it's working on all other devices (like laptops/PS3). I've been using that external HDD on that computer the past year, now the external HDD refuses to be detected by windows on that computer! I re installed windows, update my Mainboard bios, I even deleted all partitions i had on the HDD and recreated them, nothing seems to work! I was thinking how would cancelling data recovery operation cause the HDD to fail on that specific computer? Please help
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Nov 22, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Hi

Try this:

After plugging in the device, go to device manager (In run type "devmgmt.msc") In Device manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC. Right click and then click "Uninstall. Remove the USB drive and restart your system.
Try connecting the device again.