Excel Help with Macro

Closed
millek31 Posts 3 Registration date Friday November 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 21, 2014 - Nov 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM
 Blocked Profile - Nov 24, 2014 at 03:42 PM
I have an excel workbook with 4 Sheets.
Sheet 1 (summary) is a ledger.
Sheet 2 = Bob
Sheet 3 = Bill
Sheet 4 = Bart

Column D in the ledger contains a name (bob, bill or Bart).

This is what i am trying to accomplish.

If the name in Sheet 1 Column D = Bill, copy that row to the sheet named Bill. (starting on row 4 and continuing downward)
If the name in Sheet 1 Column D = Bob, copy that row to the sheet named Bob (starting on row 4 and continuing downward)
If the Name in Sheet 1 Coumn D = Bart, copy that row to the sheet named Bart (starting on row 4 and continuing downward)

I am very new to this, so any help you can provide would be wonderful!
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Nov 21, 2014 at 01:04 PM
What a wonderful question. Here is what I see as the stopping point for design of solution: when is this supposed to happen? Push of a button?

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
millek31 Posts 3 Registration date Friday November 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 21, 2014
Nov 21, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Each time I key a new line in the ledger it should automatically xfer to the Name tab depending on what is keyed in Column D.

Thanks!
Blocked Profile
Nov 21, 2014 at 02:21 PM
That is really hard to trap. In other words, what do you consider keying in a new line? I would suggest that you press a key combinition after all of the info is entered, then it evaluates the column.
millek31 Posts 3 Registration date Friday November 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 21, 2014 > Blocked Profile
Nov 21, 2014 at 02:31 PM
Ok, so, my ledger is set up like a table. When I'm in the last row of the table, and i press Tab, it creates a new line in the table.

So what you are suggesting is after i key the new row, i would press a "key combo" to run a macro? And that would xfer the row data to the corresponding Sheet?

Sorry if i sound extremely stupid, I'm trying to teach myself how to do this! Thank you for your help!
Blocked Profile > millek31 Posts 3 Registration date Friday November 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 21, 2014
Nov 21, 2014 at 02:44 PM
"i would press a "key combo" to run a macro?"

Yes, that would be the easiest solution to start with. The all you have to do is check what column you are on, and select the D cell in that column. Then once you get that variable from that cell, if then logic to place into a tab. It may not get put together in a day, but try to start with recording a macro of selecting a cell, then reverse engineer the code see what you can make dynamic! Let me know what you get started with, I will help when I can (in between my own work and such)! Lets have fun!

By the way, how is the weather up there? Sunny and 70 here in beautiful Florida! :)
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Nov 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Hiya,

Not wanting to intrude, but here is how I would handle it.

Create a drop down list for column D.
Enter the data for a row and as a last action, pick the name from the drop down list.
Then use a Worksheet_Change code to copy that row to the appropriate sheet.

Best regards,
Trowa
Blocked Profile
Nov 24, 2014 at 03:42 PM
Always glad to hear other solutions. It sounds like a viable solution with a drop down.