Black screen

Solved/Closed
Cycle1 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday November 4, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 4, 2014 - Nov 4, 2014 at 07:05 AM
 Cycle1 - Nov 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Hope someone can help with this. When I power up my old Dell Inspiron 8600 - with Windows XP - I get a black screen. First, the Dell logo appears, I can hear the boot up begin, then I get just a flashing white cursor on the top left of the screen, & the rest is black. I have tried removing the power lead & battery, hodling the power down for 1 minute, reattaching the power lead & switching on again. No joy. Holding the F8, tapping when the Dell logo appears, again no joy. But then the buttons result in sound, even though the loudspeaker is switched off previously. Any other thoughts?

Cycle1
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 15, 2014 at 04:02 PM
Most likely you have a hardware error either with the hard disk or the motherboard. I doubt it's cost effective to pay someone to fix the laptop.

Good luck
Thanks for this, xpcman, but as I really needed to get to my machine, I asked a friend to change me over to Linux. Problem solved, so it was a software problem after all. I guess that, having Windows XP, no longer supported, this was bound to happen.

Thanks anyway.