How do I check for a blank cell in a range and replace them

Closed
bjgranger Posts 1 Registration date Thursday October 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 16, 2014 - Oct 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM
 Blocked Profile - Oct 16, 2014 at 03:06 PM
I am looking for a way to check to see if cells in a column are blank and replace the blanks with a character (in the case a ?) in an Excel 2010 worksheet. What is the best way to do this automatically with a formula?
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Oct 16, 2014 at 01:38 PM
I have a question that may move this along for others in this arena:

When does the "check" fire off?

In other words, when do you wish to have this check for empties happen?
At the point of creation of the Excel csv file. The reason to make it a bit clearer is that we are creating a template of a file for uploading information to a database. When we create the file and convert it to a pipe delimited file using the excel .csv format the last field in the file is one that we do not always populate and it is not included in the csv file. Excel appears to consider it a blank not used field and does not convert it with a pipe on the end. We could simply add the pipe in the txt file but it would be easier if it was just created when the upload file format is put into the template spreadsheet. I was looking for a way to generate the filler character for the field when our data person has finished putting in the data including any in this field. I have found the Find/Replace that just replaces the blanks and that might be our best option but I am just making sure that there is not a better way, thanks!
Blocked Profile
Oct 16, 2014 at 03:06 PM
So, just a macro to run, and your "internal processors" know to run the Macro prior to exporting, correct?