Facebook "This page can't be displayed"

Closed
prof.dboyd Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 15, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 16, 2014 - Oct 15, 2014 at 07:34 PM
 prof.dboyd - Oct 21, 2014 at 03:57 PM
My laptop suddenly stopped giving me access to Facebook last night. I had been using Facebook and email for a while and left both loaded while I went to another room for a while. When I returned Facebook was not working. I tried reloading it and got an immediate message:
"This page can't be displayed"
I have rebooted several times, shut down and restarted, returned to Windows default settings, reloaded Flash Player, etc. etc. All to no avail. The message is still instant when I try to access Facebook. Everything else seems to be working fine.
I have IE11, Windows 7. It was upgraded today. I've been running it on this computer for over 2 years with no previous significant problems.

Can anyone help?

8 responses

prof.dboyd Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 15, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 16, 2014 1
Oct 16, 2014 at 12:05 PM
No, ac3mark. My wife sits beside me on her PC logged into her account ... not mine. Since mine stopped working on my PC I can log into it on her machine and see my FB account but then I log off.
Our configuration has worked for years ..... her on her PC, me on mine ..... working side by side off the same server. Just suddenly, FB quit working on my machine. Everything else works fine and I can get into my account on other machines. It's got to be something about my PC & software. But I didn't change anything. It just suddenly locked me out.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Oct 16, 2014 at 05:13 AM
Hi

Download, install and run this tool which will delete all of your temporary files and cookies, then try connecting to Fb:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4555-ccleaner/
prof.dboyd Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 15, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 16, 2014 1
Oct 16, 2014 at 07:40 AM
I downloaded and tried CCCleaner as suggested. My computer is sqeeky clean but it did nothing for the problem of loading Facebook. I still get the "This page can't be displayed" message.
Any other suggestions?
Blocked Profile
Oct 16, 2014 at 09:27 AM
Are you logged into your account on any other PC or devices?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Oct 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Check you PC time, and see if you can connect using httpS: Operative here is the "S".

Check those two things. Do you have a phone logged in, also?
I am using the "S", ac3mark.
and I do have a phone logged in. I have been using Magic Jack on my computer for years. It has never caused a problem before. Would it suddenly begin interfering?
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Oct 16, 2014 at 04:10 PM
Go to menu TOOLS,than do to INTERNET OPTIONS.go to CONNECTION tabs,and click on SETTINGS tab.than you uncheck the use of proxy server for this connection( )and click ok .
To solve the "This page can't be displayed," you will have to uninstall IE and then reinstall. I had to uninstall IE11 & IE10, reinstall IE11 and Facebook worked fine. Hope this helps.
I need to apologize to everyone for "disappearing" in the middle of your efforts to help me solve my Facebook loading problem. My internet went down last Thursday and just came back up about 1/2 hour ago. Facebook is still "out to lunch."

Uninstalling IE is not an option for me at this time. I am residing on a Caribbean Island (yeah, I know, I know) and did not bring my software with me when we moved here last spring. It is back home in the States.

I guess I will just have to resort to logging on my wife's computer periodically to check the status of my account until I can reinstall my IE. Thanks for the suggestion.