My laptop's monitor has black out

Closed
lediona Posts 8 Registration date Monday September 29, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 - Oct 1, 2014 at 06:02 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 6, 2014 at 05:13 AM
Hello.I was looking some things in my laptop and went to personalize,with the right click of the mouse and wanted to change the size of the things in my desktop,and so I clicked output to monitor
Then my monitor went black,I just click things but can't see what.I shut it down and opened again,in the beginning it shows the loading sign but is still black.Please,can you help me?
Related:

9 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 2, 2014 at 05:24 AM
Hi, Lediona

Do you use more than one monitor (or maybe a TV)? It is possible that you have made another one the primary monitor, leaving your laptop monitor blank. Can you see your mouse on the black screen? If you use more than one monitor, disconnect the second one and try again.
A possible solution may be to remove the battery, hold down the power button for a while, put battery back on and start the laptop. Confirm that you have latest graphic drivers.

Hope this helps

lediona Posts 8 Registration date Monday September 29, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 48
Oct 2, 2014 at 04:10 PM
Actually,I have created a new user,but just this.I can see until the part that says windows did not shut down normally,then it becomes black.If I move the mouse I manage to open the other user not the main one,it stays always black.I tried with the battery and it didn't work.What can I do?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 3, 2014 at 02:49 AM
When you see the "Windows did not shut down normally" sign, can you choose Safe Mode? What OS are you using?
It may be helpful to check the HDD test from the BIOS Diagnostics tab (if you have it available). Tap esc key at booting and you should enter Start-up menu. Select BIOS and search for Advanced or Diagnostic tab.
If you use Win7, I would advise you to try the Last known good configuration which can be chosen form the Advanced Boot Options. You can find it, if you press and hold F8, as you PC starts. I leave you more details in the link below. You may have some success if you have a System Repair Disc.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US#1TC=windows-7 - using Last known good configuration.
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html - Using System Repair Disc

WD Representative
lediona Posts 8 Registration date Monday September 29, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 48
Oct 3, 2014 at 04:43 AM
I just run the BIOS test and still nothing.Yes,I can open safe mode
I use windows vista bussines. I don't know what OS is.
Is there something I can do if I open it in safe mode?I really don't understand why it goes black as soon as I enter start windows normally.I can only hear the sound,and all the lights are on,but the screen is black.When I first pressed ctrl+alt+del there was this"presentation settings" and when I clicked end task,the screen did not go black.But when I opened the laptop nex day,it was the same and I couldn't even press ctrl+alt+del anymore.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Oct 3, 2014 at 05:06 AM
Sorry about that. Saying OS, I meant Operating System. Is it Windows 8, 7, XP, Vista...?
When you get your message "Windows did not shut down successfully", you should get the option to enter in safe mode. If not, you can do it by restarting your PC and pressing the F8 keyboard key. You should go to the advanced boot option screen, where you can select Safe Mode and the Last Known Good Configuration, which I recommended you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode-b90e7808-80b5-a291-d4b8-1a1af602b617#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7 - How to start in Safe Mode.

Oct 3, 2014 at 05:21 AM
I am the one who is sorry for causing so much trouble to you.So I pressed F8,and on advanced boot options, I went to last known good configuration and then enter,then I saw the loading sign of microsoft corporation, and then the screen went black again.
Oct 3, 2014 at 07:27 AM
And what about Safe mode? Still no luck?
Since you can actually see mouse and do some stuff (which you can unfortunately can not see) I would say that your PC may be booting fine, so your HDD may be fine and the graphic card may be causing the issues.
While on the black screen, can you press Ctrl + Shift +Esc. Do you see something? Can you press something?
Entering in Safe Mode may give you the chance to do some updates. Do you have Windows installation CD? You can use it to repair your System or do a clean install, which is reported to be one of the solutions.
Did your warranty expired? If not, consult your reseller for some technical support and hardware diagnostics.

Unfortunately I really have no more suggestions. You can check this similar topic and try one of the proposed solutions: https://www.tomshardware.com/

Let me know if you have any progress.
Oct 4, 2014 at 09:47 AM
Hi,so I tried all the possible solutions recommended and I can open it in Safe mode...,but is there any way to get my screen as it was before,Not in safe mode? I tried to open it normally( open windows normally) but it still opens in safe mode
Oct 6, 2014 at 05:13 AM
Could you check the msconfig command from the CMD while you are in Safe Mode? Then go to the Boot tab and you should be able to disable Safe Mode. I leave you some more details in the links below.
However, I would say that it could sign that your system is currently working, even in Safe Mode. Use the opportunity and, if you have networking, try to search for newer drivers for your graphic card from the developer's website. If you can, backup some valuable information, while in Safe Mode and try a clean installation of Windows.

https://support2.microsoft.com/en-us/help/305671 - Computer starts only in Safe Mode
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/windows-always-start-in-safe-mode/32cc022f-912b-49b5-8d8b-107de570fcf6 - Similar topic in the Microsoft community