Data transfer from Palm Tungsten E2 to Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7.0

Closed
fios Posts 4 Registration date Monday August 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2014 - Aug 25, 2014 at 03:57 AM
BunoCS Posts 15472 Registration date Monday July 11, 2005 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 - Aug 28, 2014 at 05:16 AM
I have synchronised my (obsolescent) Palm Tungsten E2 with my PC. How can I transfer all these data to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7.0?
Related:

9 responses

fios Posts 4 Registration date Monday August 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2014 1
Aug 25, 2014 at 06:40 AM
Apologies but, for a 79 year-old, the advice given is much too cryptic!

(1) How do I download the required Kies software - how do I access it?

(2) I do have cables with USB plugs & sockets, but what do I connect to what? There are 3 devices to choose from: my Palm Tungsten, my PC and my Samsung tablet. And, having connected (which?) two of them, what exactly do I do next?
BunoCS Posts 15472 Registration date Monday July 11, 2005 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 1,534
Aug 25, 2014 at 04:57 AM
Hello,

2 ways:
- with Samsung Kies
- with a simple USB connection

Anyway, you have to install Kies on your PC
BunoCS Posts 15472 Registration date Monday July 11, 2005 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 1,534
Aug 25, 2014 at 08:02 AM
Kies is available on Samsung website: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/kies/

Assuming you've already transfered your data from your Palm to your PC, you just have to plug your Galaxy Tab to your PC and then put your data on it.
fios Posts 4 Registration date Monday August 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2014 1
Aug 25, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Thank you for the additional information. After clicking on the link to Samsung, I chose the Kies3 option (hoping that this was correct for a Galaxy Tab 2, 7.0) and downloaded it to my PC. Then I checked that Kies3 was indeed included in the list of downloads on my PC - but not on my list of programs.

I attached the Samsung tablet to my PC, opened the (recently-synchronised) Palm on my PC, and selected Export. I had expected this process to take at least a few seconds, but it appeared to happen almost instantaneously. Maybe I should have specified, somehow, that I wanted to export everything.

After disconnecting the tablet from the PC, I can find no trace of the data from the Palm on the tablet - perhaps because it isn't there, or perhaps because I'm not looking for it in the appropriate place. I really don't know what "the appropriate place" is - I'm still trying to learn how to use the tablet.

All very frustrating. If you are able to assist me further, I'd certainly appreciate your suggestions. Right now, however, it's almost midnight where I am, so I'm going to bed. Bonne nuit! A demain matin.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Aug 25, 2014 at 11:16 AM
I think Kies should be more appropriate.

For the first step, have you succeeded with the back-up of your Palm data?

By the way, which data do you want to put on your tablet?
Aug 25, 2014 at 07:46 PM
Thank you, Buno, for your continuing help. Below, I respond to the 3 issues addressed in your latest message.

Ideally, I want to transfer ALL data currently on my Palm to my Samsung tablet. However, the really crucial data are (1) my lists of contacts (in 4 categories), (2) my diary (going back several years and projecting well into the future), and (3) my memos (in more than 20 categories, some of which relate to my health and are essential for my well-being). If I can't transfer - comprehensively and accurately - all data in these 3 critical areas, then the whole exercise is pointless.

Yes, I have synchronised/ backed up my Palm with my PC. I do this routinely every few weeks, and I did it again yesterday (Monday). As always, I checked that data entered recently on my Palm showed up on my PC - and they did.

Re your statement "I think Kies should be more appropriate", are you suggesting that I should have downloaded "Kies", not "Kies3"? If so, I can easily download Kies. Will problems arise if both Kies3 and Kies are downloaded onto my PC?

A fundamental problem that I still face is knowing how to access, on my tablet, data transferred (I hope!) from my Palm. None of the icons presently on the home page of my tablet appears to be relevant to this quest. Where, on my tablet, should I be looking for the transferred data? Do I need to prepare, somehow, my tablet to receive these data?

I'm sorry for being so ignorant about these matters, but please bear in mind that, when I was a 5 year-old learning to write, the medium on which I wrote wasn't a computer screen or even a piece of paper, it was a sheet of slate!
The Wings of the Morning
Aug 27, 2014 at 04:50 AM
On 25 August I responded to Buno's most recent message to me. Since then I have heard nothing further. Have I been downloaded into the Too Hard basket?
Aug 27, 2014 at 05:03 AM
Hello,

Sorry to be late but I've a working life too ;)

Have I been downloaded into the Too Hard basket?
I don't know how Palm OS works...

Will problems arise if both Kies3 and Kies are downloaded onto my PC?
I don't think so. But Kies (and not Kies 3) is designed to communicate with your phone.

When you plug your Samsung through USB, what do you see on it? Just images directory or more?
The Wings of the Morning
Aug 27, 2014 at 08:05 AM
Hi again,

I have downloaded Kies to my PC, so both Kies and Kies3 are now on my PC.

I have synchronised my PC with my Palm, so what is on my PC is completely up to date.

You ask "When you plug your Samsung through USB, what do you see on it? Just images directory or more?".

When I connect my Samsung tablet to my PC, my tablet screen shows the usual Home page. My PC monitor shows Library, under which are Playlists, Music ..... GT-P3110 (my tablet). When I click on GT-P3110, the following list appears: Sync status, Music, Videos, Pictures. When I click on Sync status, this message appears: "There are no sync results to show".

Does this answer your question? Is there something else that I should do?
Aug 28, 2014 at 05:16 AM
OK.

On your tablet, if you pull the notification bar, you will see the USB connection. You may change the mode to see more directories because now, your tablet is recognized as a multimedia device.

Or, not tested, maybe you can import your data is Kies?