How to perform system restore (factory restore) on Sony Vaio

Closed
bushra1122 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 17, 2014 - Aug 16, 2014 at 09:48 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 17, 2014 at 04:02 PM
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-N250E that I bought off somebody. It is a Windows Vista and the user had upgraded it to Windows 7. I want to restore it to factory settings but when I select the option to restore it, it wants me to select a login from the two options given and then enter a password, and it won't take blank spaces either.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
Related:

4 responses

bushra1122 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 17, 2014 2
Aug 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I'm aware that a factory restore will take me back from Windows 7 to Windows Vista but I'm ok with that. I figured out the password for one of the two user names.

Only problem is, how do I get to the Factory Restore option now???
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Aug 17, 2014 at 04:02 PM
On many Sony models, holding alt + F10 at boot will start the factory restore process
bushra1122 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 17, 2014 2
Aug 17, 2014 at 01:28 PM
I pressed alt + f10 and got this:

Edit Windows boot options for: Windows 7
Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe
Partition: 1
Hard Disk 995bb9d5
[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

ENTER=Submit ESC=Cancel

If I press ENTER it goes to log-on page. If I press ESC I get this:

Windows Boot Manager
Choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool:
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press ENTER.)
Windows 7
Tools: Windows Memory Diagnostic

**When Windows 7 is highlighted I have the option to press F8 for advanced options so I press F8 and get this Menu:

Choose Advanced Options for: Windows 7
Repair Your Computer

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Engable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

***So I selected REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER and get the following options:
Startup Repair: Automatically fix problems that are preventing windows from starting
System Restore: Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
System Image Recovery: Recover your computer using a system image you created earlier
Windows Memory Diagnostic: Check your computer for memory hardware errors
Command Prompt: Open a command prompt window

***I've tried system restore but it can only restore to an earlier point and not back to factory settings. I don't have any DVDs that came with this laptop.

Is there any hope at all of restoring to factory settings????
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Aug 17, 2014 at 07:34 AM
Hi,

Sorry to say that unless you cab get the password from that somebody you are marooned up the stream without an oar.

Also, do you realize that to bring it back to factory settings means going back to Vista.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Regards