WD hard disk not detected on My Computer, I/O device error

Closed
Hangzo Posts 1 Registration date Sunday August 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2014 - Aug 10, 2014 at 04:07 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 6, 2016 at 05:47 AM
I have a 1 and a half year old WD 1 TB hard disk which was giving great service. Recently, it has started showing errors and I really need to recover the data.

The laptop gives the sound notification when I plug it in, and also the "remove device safely" option gets enabled. But the drive does not get displayed on My Computer. I checked the device manager, and the hard disk is shown

The disk management shows the hard disk 1 as unknown and not initialized. I tried initializing it, but it shows I/O device failure.

Please help, as I really need to recover the data available on the hard disk before I format or ask for a replacement. Various data recovery software have been tried unsuccessfully (Ease US Data Recovery, Recuva, PC Inspector, Stellar Phoenix, Yodot Hard Drive Recovery, iCare Data Recovery)
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Aug 10, 2014 at 06:47 AM
I suggest that you may find this Kioskea How-to very helpful:

https://ccm.net/faq/26351-western-digital-hard-disk-not-being-detected
is it solved? I am getting the same problem.
Atoneapone Posts 1 Registration date Saturday January 23, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 23, 2016
Jan 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM
I had the same problem a year ago, and I just kept the WD 1TB My passport around for future data recovery attempts. I had the most luck with the software GetDataBack for NTFS (I'm using version 4.33). It was able to recovery about 50-60 % of the small files I cared about, mostly smaller than 200mb size files. Anything greater than that was not recoverable--which was ok since I had backups for most of them. But I lost some home videos. I was able to recover most of my home pictures and smaller sized videos, small 480p quality cartoon files, etc. But all of my large video files are essentially lost. I hope someone else has any other ideas before I try reformatting it. In the worst case, I am guessing reformatting will not fix it either, and it will become a dead hdd with nothing on it once we choose that option...So I am waiting for any better ways to recover files before trying that as a final resort.