Removing duplicate data

Closed
Scriptowrite Posts 1 Registration date Thursday July 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 17, 2014 - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 - Aug 4, 2014 at 01:22 PM
A call for urgent help to anyone out there.

In capturing data from archived files I saved this both on my laptop as well as on a plugged in memory stik.
The problem arose when duplicating data in two files, but then ensured to rename one file on the stik.
What is the fastest way to list the duplicated data or mark it in both files, so it can be erased fully. Must do this asap or will result in confusion with our system. Thanks to whoever responds with easy solution guy(s).

6 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jul 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Hi Scriptowrite,

After selecting your data, go to advanced filter where you will find the option to only keep unique values which you then can paste to a different location.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm using 2007 version which doesn't show an advanced filter under the home tab. Is it shown under another menu tab?
We have since opened both the original and one of the few duplicate files on the display and ticked off duplicate rows which is a long process. When trying help search, suggestions were given to use an Access database by combining duplicates in tables. Thanx for your input.
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Jul 30, 2014 at 02:42 PM
Scriptowrite, Good afternoon.

At Excel 2007 an Advanced Filter option is under a DATA tab
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jul 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Hi Mazzaropi,

Thanks for your input in this query.

I was wondering if you could help me translate the tab names in Excel, since I'm using a Dutch version and don't know the exact English translations.

From left to right my free form translation goes like:
File - Start - Insert - Page Setup - Formulas - Data - Control - View

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Trowa
Thanks. Found it Mazzaropi. I clicked on ? in the pop out to find how advanced filtering works and got rolls of unhelpful complicated text that shows little to resolve duplicated rows of data. On the suggestions mentioned in a reply to Trowa using an Access database to simplify the problem of showing copied data, what would you propose friend?
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Jul 31, 2014 at 04:05 PM
TrowaD, Good afternoon.

"...since I'm using a Dutch version..."
I can not imagine how it looks like!

Your translation is very good.

Take a look at a English Version:

OR...

Is it what you want?
I hope it helps.

Have a nice day.
--
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão
Jul 31, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Scriptowrite, Good evening.

"...simplify the problem of showing copied data, what would you propose friend?..."
Well, I don't know how complex your data are.
But, I believe that the TrowaD's suggestion is:

Supposing your scenario is data in A1:G5000
a) Choose ONE file to be the MASTER file. Anyone
b) Open the other file and COPY ALL DATA to the bottom of the MASTER file.
c) GO to --> DATA tab --> Advanced Filter
d) At Advanced Filter Dialog Box:

ONLY the UNIQUE ROW data will be copied to the new place.

I don't know if it's what you want.
But we are trying to help you.

Please tell us if it worked for you.
I hope it helps.
--
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Aug 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Hi Mazzaropi (or do you prefer Marcílio),

So the first picture is Excel 2007 and the second Excel 2010?

I've recently switched from 2003 to 2013 and was expecting the blue ribbons but got the white ones (which I could swap for light-grey or, the one I chose, grey). By default it doesn't show the ribbon, for I guess a cleaner look.

This is how it looks:

By the way, it is exactly what I wanted, so thanks for your reply!

It is always a pleasure to read your neatly formatted reply's.

Many thanks,
Trowa
Aug 4, 2014 at 01:22 PM
TrowaD, Good afternoon.

"...So the first picture is Excel 2007 and the second Excel 2010? ..."
No. Both are from MS Excel 2007.
The first one is a default view with a Blue ribbon and the second one is when you choose to use a classic layout as default.

"...I've recently switched from 2003 to 2013..."
WOW. It's a great jump.

"...It is always a pleasure to read your neatly formatted reply's. ..."
Thank you very much.
I feel happy that someone likes the way, I do my modest contribuition to the users of this wonderfull place of knowledge's collaboration.

Have an nice week.
Best regards,
--
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão