Making bridge connection with Windows Starter

Closed
Tobruk Posts 9 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 9, 2014 - Feb 6, 2014 at 09:10 AM
 Blocked Profile - Feb 7, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Hello everybody. I'm new here, because I have a problem and I hope you'll help me to deal with it.

Well, I want to send my Internet connection (wireless) from one PC to another. I've got an Ethernet cable and I know that to send that I must make a bridge connection between them on a "host" computer. But... my host computer has Windows Starter edition, which not include features like bridge connections. I don't know what to do.

Can you please help me?
Paul aka Tobruk
Related:

6 responses

Blocked Profile
Feb 6, 2014 at 06:45 PM
Ok, IF starter edition will not allow you build a workgroup, I AM CERTAIN you will not be able to:

1. click on the Windows button and type "network and sharing center" and enter
2. on the left right under manage wireless networks, should say change adapter settings click that
3. right click local area connection and disable it.
4. right click local area connection and click properties.
5. there should be a tab that says sharing go to that tab.
6. there is a box that says allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection. uncheck it if it is checked.
7.hit ok then right click local area connection and enable it.
9 now select both your wireless network connection and the local area connection and right click and it should have the option to bridge connections. when you click bridge it will do its thing and should work when its done.

I wouldn't know, I do not have access to starter. I cannot test it to see if it is possible.
Tobruk Posts 9 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 9, 2014 3
Feb 7, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Yes, on ther fifth step I can't see any tab called "sharing".
Blocked Profile
Feb 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM
paul,

It looks as though you are correct for your edition. You would be able to join workgroups, but you are not able to construct or build them in Starter.

I am curious as to why not connect them both to the gateway?
Tobruk Posts 9 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 9, 2014 3
Feb 6, 2014 at 05:55 PM
Thanks ac3mark for your interest of my case.

Unfortunately I don't understand much from your answer. I can guess that you were talking about Starter features, but the workgroups apparently won't deal with my problem.

To answer a question - why I didn't connect them to the gateway - my distance between internet plug and those two PC's is too far and I am supposed maybe to buy a larger cable.
Currently I have to figure out how to send internet from laptop to PC, because that PC isn't able to connect to the net (I don't know why though cause I bough a new wifi adapter for USB and it should work fine).

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Feb 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM
There we go, sorry!
Feb 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM
but... maybe there's a software about making bridge connections (and as simple as that function in windows)? Huh?
Blocked Profile
Feb 7, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Not free, and if it is, it will mangle your machine into a bot that you will never get back! Seeing as though you understand that it is just a protocol and a standard, author your own peice of 'ware in vb.