"File or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Solved/Closed
Jynxus Posts 7 Registration date Tuesday December 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 18, 2014 - Updated on Jun 6, 2017 at 04:28 PM
 nahid - Jan 10, 2018 at 03:20 PM
I have a Terabyte external hard drive that is filled to capacity with music, movies, pictures, accounts etc . All of a sudden it is no longer accessible on my laptop, or my television (through my blu ray player). All of the files are available when I connect it to my tablet (Acer 500). I attached the tablet to the computer, thinking I could load the files to the computer, but only the first three files show up and the computer only has 850 G of space. My computer skills are limited as are my funds! Can anyone help?

6 responses

Jynxus Posts 7 Registration date Tuesday December 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 18, 2014 1
Dec 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Hi: I tried that and I get the message: "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode." I am running Windows 8. The command prompt comes up: C:\Users\Brenda> but, I am the administrator! What to do?
Jynxus Posts 7 Registration date Tuesday December 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 18, 2014 1
Dec 10, 2013 at 02:02 PM
I went to the "help" page to get into the command prompt, followed your instructions and got back my entertainment! Thank you soooooooo much!
Dec 16, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Well, turns out that I only got about half of my files back, some still say that the file can't be run. I tried to run the chkdsk command again, but now I get the message that "the drive, the path or the file name is not valid." Any idea why I get that message? I really am somewhat computer illiterate.
floryde Posts 4 Registration date Monday April 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 22, 2014
Apr 21, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Hello my hardrive is doing the same, however it is saying it is RAW....can anybody help me...i am currently downloading a partition recovery toolkit as we speak. I really dont want to lose any work on here!
Turns out it was not the fault of the hard drive. I bought a new Blu Ray player and now I can access all of my videos. Unfortunately, I had started to delete a lot of the ones that weren't working. So, definitely check that before anything else. My clue happened when I attached the hard drive to a smart tv and all the files could be loaded. Thanks for all the help, though, I did learn a few things.
thanks you very much your idea worked.