Explorer.exe corrupt

Closed
oassi Posts 1 Registration date Saturday August 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2013 - Aug 10, 2013 at 08:46 PM
rainerudhiel Posts 3 Registration date Monday November 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 1, 2013 - Nov 18, 2013 at 04:40 AM
Hello, my EXPORER.EXE has corrupted, i tried and followed the instructions but i could not find any folder called explorer only iexplorer.exe i deleted it , restart my computer but my problem never solved. please help me i have bunch of files saved on my computer. thank you

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 10, 2013 at 08:57 PM
You can try the following. But, be very careful when using REGEDIT:
I suggest you try option 2 first.

Option No. 1

CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
Click File | New Task(run).
Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionImage File Execution.options

Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
If Explorer.exe is not automatically loading when windows start then change the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsNT CurrentVersionWINLOGON

In Winlogon, on the right side, there should be a value called "Shell".
Double click this value. Make sure only 'Explorer.exe' is the value of Shell, if anything else is there , simply delete it and leave 'Explorer.exe' .
Close the Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

Note: You must create registry backup in order to meet any abnormal behavior or accidental deletion of registry entry other than I have describe above. If your Regedit, Folder Options and Task Manager is disabled by Autorun Virus then Download this "Remove Restriction Tool". Which is very smart tool to re-enable all your disabled options by the viruses.

Option No. 2
Click Start>>>click All Programs>>> click Accessories>>> right-click Command Prompt>>> and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation>>> type the password>>> or click Allow

Type the following command>>> and then press ENTER:

SFC /scannow

A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time.

Iif any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Win7 DVD for this process to continue.

If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
rainerudhiel Posts 3 Registration date Monday November 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 1, 2013
Nov 18, 2013 at 04:40 AM
hey xpcman, I tried the first part of your advice; going in to the image execution file. Sure enough there was iexplorer.exe(though no explorer.exe), I restarted my computer but it did this weird thing and I almost thought it wouldn't restart..it popped up saying winlogon still had to close(but then it restarted). I tried the second part of that, looking at the 'shell'. My question is, when you are talking about 'the value of shell', are you talking about the column where it says 'data'? If so, everything is fine for me.

Except...after I tried the first part and restarted, explorer.exe was running fine at about 30%-50%, but now it's spiked up to 100% cpu(this is the problem that led me here). Any advice?