Shortcut & .lnk virus on usb and phone keep reappearing HELP!!

Solved/Closed
jinxedtech Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday August 6, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 8, 2013 - Aug 6, 2013 at 09:49 PM
canewell05 Posts 1 Registration date Monday May 26, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 26, 2014 - May 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Hi!! I really hope someone can help me..I'm quite desperate...

After using my usb elsewhere when I put it back in my laptop, I saw that all my folders where turned into shortcuts and weren't able to access anything. When I looked at the hidden folders I saw my original files and was able to access everything luckily. So I backed it up and formatted my usb, but as soon as I add a file into the usb again, the shortcuts reappears. The same thing happened to my phone which was connected to the laptop at the time, and when I looked at the folders on the phone, they all had the .lnk extension. I tried the whole "cmd -> attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* " thing and all it did was show me my hidden files. I also tried to detect what was wrong with an anti-virus but it didn't pick anything up, and neither did malawarebytes. Also I don't think its an autorun.inf problem, because I don't see it anywhere when I unhide all the folders (could it be?). How do I get rid of these shortcut files permanently that they don't come back and prevent any of my future hard drives or usb's from being affected again?

I really hope someone can help me, I don't know what else to do.
Related:

6 responses

jinxedtech Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday August 6, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 8, 2013 3
Aug 8, 2013 at 04:35 AM
I just wanted to say I fixed the problem, just a heads up for anyone in the future with the same problem...I downloaded MSE instaler ie Microsoft Security Essential, and did a full system scan and it picked up the problem. :)
I have exactly the same problem as yours, tried exactly what you have tried from the beginning . . but in windows 8 I have Windows Defender instead of MSE but it also didn't works as I have Norton security and can't disable it to run the Windows Defender . . I am totally desperate :(
same problem here nothing work
use USB DISK SECURITY sometimes IT WILL QUARANTINE the virus but you have delete the file by checking its location of the quarantine file it will be in c drive users
if the quarantine file is not deleted virus will remain but it will not be detected
thanks for your post I have encountered the same problem and it works I replaced my anti virus with mse
canewell05 Posts 1 Registration date Monday May 26, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 26, 2014
May 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Thank you for this fix. I have Windows 8.1 and turned on Windows Defender, updated it and performed scan. It detected and then I removed the shortcut virus that previously kept coming back over and over. Defender worked!!!