Transfer files from my laptop to my Desktop PC

Closed
oreviolin Posts 4 Registration date Saturday April 13, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2013 - Jul 23, 2013 at 08:38 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jul 23, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Hello,

please, I need help on step by step way on how to transfer files from my laptop to my desktop... without a cable or usb or internet or router or ethernet(i don't have any of these). I have a friend who can transfer files from one computer to another (pinging).
pls I need you to tell me how to do it from acer aspire one notebook to windows xp.. he shares them by typing some i.p in the computer and he transfers the files....pls help me..step by step ...God bless you..
pls I need help urgently
Related:

6 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 23, 2013 at 08:50 AM
Wow, That is interesting. The only other mode of transport would be blue tooth. SO without WIFI, or any cables, bluetooth is your option. (I am certain you do not have anRS-232 port on your PC, so a serial conneciton is out of the question (who uses serial connecitons anymore?)

To start off, you would need to build a network. I would sugest you do a lttle more research on Networks, as the tasks asscoiated with what you are asking is not as simple as 1.2.3.

Have fun!
oreviolin Posts 4 Registration date Saturday April 13, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2013
Jul 23, 2013 at 09:56 AM
hello,
I am sorry... did I ask the question in a naive way? I am sure he did not use a cable or an internet or usb... to transfer the files...i don't know the meaning of router or ethernet..(are they inbuilt?)
oreviolin Posts 4 Registration date Saturday April 13, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2013
Jul 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM
hello ac3mark,

I saw something like this in one of the replies given in your forums... but it is not explanatory enough... pls edit it and explain.. I believe if you explain this, it would solve my problem....thanks ...

''''''It all depends on what operating system you are running. This goes for mostly all the OS from 98 to XP.

To share files, you just need to create a folder anywhere on your desktop and give it a name. Then you right click it and go to "Sharing" or "Sharing and Security". You just ask it to share and make sure you click on the "Allow other users to make changes" so that you can change the files on that folder from your laptop computer.

Then you go to the laptop and open up "My Computer" type in the desktops ip address as such (192.168.1.101) and this will open the desktop computer if you have any folders or files that are set to share. Make sure your firewalls are turned off for both your OS and your antivirus. ''''''''
Blocked Profile
Jul 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Ok, first of all, those steps are after the network, or "workgroup" has been configured. What OS are you using?

If you are using XP or earlier, than all of the PCs you wish to connect, must have the following requirements fulfilled:
Ethernet Card or Ethernet Port (10/100Mbps)
Hub, or swtich, but in this case a 4 port workgroup hub will work,(seperate peice of equipment)
A WIRED connection from PC to HUB and HUB to the oher PC
Right CLick over the icon of MY COMPUTER and select propeties, go to the Computer name tab, and write down what workgroup it is in. It is is not in one, then create one, write it down, as all of your networked pc have to be in this workgroup.
No go to control panel, and select network connections, and select the network, click properties, click internetprotocol and click properties, make certain you have the obtain IP addreess automatically is checked. If you have internet access already then more thatn likely all of these things have been perfomred, now you just have to do it on the other pc, makeing certain that the workgroups are the same.

If you have perfomed all of these and you still cannot "see" the other PC, then you wil need to make certain they are all on the same network:
open start run cmd --> ipconfig \all

Do that on al the pc you wish to trouble shot, if they are all coming up with different numbers, then you will have to set a static network as you have DHCP server. See what I mean it is not as easy as 123...

If this does work, then you can go to share th efolders, but until you can ping one machine to the next, the sharing doesnt matter.

Google Building a LAN with XP.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 23, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Greetings,
Please refrain from posting multiple topics for the same problem as it often leads to confusion and can take longer time for us to respond.
Best Regards
pls.....i'm sorry for disturbing you guys.... just take it easy pls ..... pls check this link and reply.....http://www.macnamara-ict.co.uk/?p=235 thanks....
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 23, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Hello,
Permit to add few line.
Try this 1
The instructions given in the link is nothing but a Remote Desktop Connection.
You can't share files or folders without any mean of connection (Network cable, internet, WiFi) between two devices.
Even if you need to perform Remote Desktop Connection there should be some sought of connection between the laptop and the desktop PC.
First let us know how you are accessing the internet at present.
Good Luck