Micro SD format

Solved/Closed
spannean Posts 2 Registration date Saturday June 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2013 - Jun 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM
 sudharsan - Dec 7, 2014 at 03:05 AM
I tried searching kioskea and google.The threads and problem were similar to mine but not exactly same as I could not find the solution for myself in any mentioned ways. I've a micro SD card of 4 GB. I purchased it from a local store. It is Strontium micro SD and made in Taiwan. If my eyes have not stopped working then there is no any write protection switch anywhere in it. It is three months since I've been using it on my Blackberry Torch 9800. A month ago the files inside it showed pretty unusual behaviour. The new directories were added automatically and they were not deletable (read only files and directories). Only option left was to format it and so I formatted it in my phone.I re-copied all of the files (songs,pics, videos and few pdfs) which I had fortunately backed up in my laptop. Suspecting it was because of virus I first deep scanned my computer and micro SD with Panda AV updated 2012-12-31. It showed no threats or viruses. But one morning, a week later after formatting my Blackberry Torch gave me a warning pop-up. "A media card has been inserted that is not formatted.Would you like to format it now?" I was taken by surprise wondering how things went wrong. I had listened to songs in it before I went to bed and as soon I wake up that message was waiting me to see it. I formatted micro SD card again but this time with computer. I scanned everything again. With mp3val frontend I examined all mp3s and copied them to SD card. Videos too didn't have any seeking problems. Pdf files were good to be opened with Adobe PDF reader in my laptop. With all these selected healthy files I half loaded my 4 GB Taiwan made Strontium micro SD. I used it in my Blackberry again. This time even scanning my phone though knowing RIM's built in media is always free from viruses or malwares. I was surprised (frustrated :@) that last night the same thing happens. But this time neither my blackberry phone nor my nokia X3-02 could format the 'ghost' SD Card. I used card reader and plugged into a port with that card in it. As soon as I plugged it in: Windows 7 gave me a warning that "You need to format the disk in drive H: before you can use it Do you want to format it?". I clicked on Format disk. Then comes this window where the MAJOR PROBLEM begins. It showed me format window where to keep my eyes wide open I saw this; Format Removable Disk (H:) Capacity: 45.8 MB (45.8 MB!!!!! It was a 4 GB micro SD!!!!!) I however unchecked Quick Format option and clicked on Start. It gave warning you will lose data and all for which I clicked OK. Windows after few seconds comes with an error message saying. "Windows was unable to complete the format." Then it says windows can't format H. Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read only. Then My computer>Manage>Disk Management. It shows H: 46 MB RAW Healthy (Primary Partition) Format doesn't occur and same like above messages recur. Then I downloaded HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. Nothing new. Same error message. Windows was unable to format. Then SD Formatter was which I downloaded. It also ended up with Could not format the memory card from all 3 options available. Then I ran command prompt and typed format command like instructed in a thread. It also ended up giving same error message. Then in same command prompt I tried using DISKPART command. It only works till SELECT DISK 1, create partition primary command came up with following error message. No usable free extent could be found. It may be that there is insufficient free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset. Specify different size and offset values or don't specify either to create the maximum sized partition. It may be that the disk is partitioned using the MBR disk partitioning format and the disk either 4 primary partitions, (no more partitions may be created), or 3 primary partitions and one extended partition, (only logical drives may be created). I'm stucked after this. Not tried anything more or less. I have a feeling that this micro SD is ruined completely. Its properties show: Capacity 0 bytes Free space 0 bytes If anybody has solution I would be highly gratified. I wonder if this memory card aka, micro SD is usable. I've less hopes of recovery but I definitely have few questions to which I wish an expert or an experienced to have eyes on: 1. Why it is shown 45.8 MB (or 45 MB or 46 MB) when the micro SD is of 4 GB? 2. How did my memory card get corrupted so often even when I'm too cautious about file transferring safety measures and weekly scanning of SD card with AV? 3. How can I prevent these all from happening in future? 4. Do I always have to be alert about 'brands' even while purchasing SD cards?like Lexar and SanDisk? 5. What does a RAW file system stand for and a SD card with FAT32 file system; how did it get changed to RAW file system? 6.How do I remove write protection from such a disk which doesn't have any switch and can't be operated further without formatting and on top of it the disk can't be formatted?Any solution to this vicious circle of disk write protection and format? 7. How can one be sure that the disk is not re usable? What actually happens inside the disk to confirm a disk is DAMAGED beyond repair which is otherwise physically good and same before being DAMAGED? Its a short but a detailed story. I hope somebody at least answers these few questions towards the end. A working solution for my problem would be miracle and boon for me. A suggestion would definitely be a matter of respect I would have for you. Thank you (:
Related:

3 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 30, 2013 at 07:01 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

If the file system is RAW then the partition got damaged or corrupted.

Click on the below hyperlink "Formatter" and download the file

Formatter

Try to format your SD Card using the utility provided by your SD-Card

Manufacturer.

Click on the below hyperlink "Guide" and download the file

Guide

Refer to the Page 5 (Platform Varies). You can find all the information.

According to your SD-Card manufacture, if you want to format it from a PC then

you are suppose to use formatter utility provided by them

Refer to Page 7 (Recommendation). You can find all the information.

Good Luck
Jith2000 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2013
Dec 8, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Hi, I have a similar issue with my Sandisk Micro SDHC 16GB, I tried all the methods above, and then I used The SC-Card Formatter, but gets an error message " Please release the Write Security Switch". Can u suggest me any splution pls?
rajeshbj1990 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 11, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 11, 2013
Dec 11, 2013 at 02:25 PM
my 4 GB micro sd is also showing 31 MB memory and when I tried to formate it shows to remove write security switch:(:(.....Hey but if ur card have a lock then swich it off, chech this out....https://ccm.net/faq/669-unable-to-write-on-secure-digital-sd-memory-card
what to do if I loss fat table
i also have the same prob I tried to format by using cmd but when m creating primary partition it shows tht primary partition cant b created only logical can b create what should I do any suggestion I have transcend sd card
my micro sd card is not formating..please give
solution...
i am having the same problem with san disk micro sd 32gb. pls help
Thebest76 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 22, 2013
Dec 22, 2013 at 07:28 AM
so you say it is solved?
will you please tell the steps you did it.
I am having exactly the same problem.
Thank You