Ask a question Report

Watching Video from my PC on my TV [Closed]

NukedFood 4Posts Thursday February 19, 2009Registration date February 22, 2009Last seen - Latest answer on Aug 16, 2010 04:19PM
Hello,
I got a basic setup where I use an S-Video cable to watch videos from my PC to my TV. When I use windows media player the video plays on my monitor but not on my TV. But when I used VLC it played on both.
Then I reinstalled Windows, used the same graphics card driver as before but now when I use VLC the video does not come up on my TV. Thought it might be because I was using a newer version of VLC, but I uninstalled and used an older version and it still doesn't work. Updated graphics driver but it still won't work on my TV
Anyone know why this would happen? Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers
Read more 
Answer
+7
moins plus
hi,
you have to set the screen resolution correctly.
go to control panel > display settings,
there you can activate the second screen, that is, your tv screen.

David- Jun 28, 2009 11:34AM
Hi,
what hardware do i need to watch video on my PC & TV set with the same clarity of picture
please reply to my email

Regards,

David
Rudy- Mar 19, 2010 07:12PM
Are you a representative of this company Lily?
Somehow I am skeptical of this company as they do not even outline the channels that one is able to get.
Zombie_slag- Apr 22, 2010 04:19PM
lily is a spambot
Chris- Apr 23, 2010 01:18AM
My question was running video on my computer .I'm running 4 screens using two nvidia 285 cards. When I use windows media player to watch video, it only allows me to watch on one screen. However, playing music is different. I use a graffics program from G-force and I can stretch it across all 4 and its truly amazing. Anyway, if you know anything about this please contact me at EMail Id removed for security
Thank you Christopher Eagerton
Meatball- Aug 12, 2010 06:26PM
What if I only have only have one screen? How do I get, download, or obtain that second screen?
Answer
+5
moins plus
go to display settings, click advanced.

Go to troubleshoot.

Under Hardware Acceleration turn it to the second lowest option.

Problem solved.

JC- Sep 14, 2009 11:15PM
Oorwullie, you rock!
That worked perfectly.

Thanks!
Bobbo- Dec 10, 2009 08:11PM
Thank you very much. Very simple and it worked! A million thanks!
jay- Jun 8, 2010 06:27PM
waw thank you so much
Martin- Jul 6, 2010 01:09PM
hey it worked for me too!!! thanks Oorwullie
WIZ- Aug 10, 2010 01:09AM
it works, but then my pc screen is really small compared to the size of the tv screen; not fully enjoyable. no way around this?
Answer
+1
moins plus
OK, normally I don't respond to tech boards but I just figured this one out after struggling with it for about 3 days after reinstalling windows on my machine.

I have a GeForce FX 5200 card - NVIDIA software.

Here is what you do - to go control panel - display - Advanced - then the GeForce FX 5200 tab - go down to Full screen video - in that tab you will see Full Screen device - make sure that it is set to Secondary display. Then hit apply and OK.

Now you can play your video on your TV while at the same time be able to do what ever you want on that computer and it doesn't show up on the TV screen.

In addition, if you want to play youtube clips or games on your TV you can.

The TV can now play VLC player videos and when you aren't playing the videos it clones your computer monitor.

Hope that helps - I am so happy I got this under control!!

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi,

thanks for your reply. I use Catalyst Control Centre and clone my desktop to my TV. The resolution is fine my desktop is cloned perfectly. The problem is when I play a video. On my TV the VLC program window won't display the video and is just black while on my PC monitor the video plays fine.

I know my setup can work because I have been watching videos for ages on my TV with current settings. It just stopped working. Anyone know why?

Cheers

moby- May 2, 2009 09:04AM
I'm experiencing the same thing. The loaded movies will play on my computer, but a black sceen window on my TV. The desk top icons are behind the blank sceen. Can you please help me???
cyrus- Jul 31, 2009 08:47PM
did you figure it out? if u fixed ur problem I had same problem. my email is cab007@shsu.edu
narf- Apr 5, 2010 09:19PM
Video cards will only render media like video to one output. Therefore, to get your video to show up on your TV, go into your display properties and tell your second display (your TV) to be your primary display.
a- Apr 13, 2010 05:18PM
Thanks Narf! works perfectly now :)
SavageSquirrels- May 24, 2010 01:48PM
I had this for a while i found playing with the thetre modes inside of ati catalyst sorted it out I checked option "same on all screens" played properly
Answer
+0
moins plus
i wanna now why does my cpu shutdown when i watch movie,videos,games an more help

bluealchemist- Nov 25, 2009 09:18PM
sounds like you need a better power supply. not enough watts when needed will cause the shut down when system is under stress.
Jwnelson- Jan 8, 2010 12:37AM
You may be overheating. If you take your console apart and use canned air to clean away dust this may help. Computers collect dust easily and they need to be cleaned out in order to work optimally. Get that dust out and you may be good.
Answer
+0
moins plus
You have to set your resolution to one that fits screen size then your problem should be solved

baba- Jul 3, 2009 08:11PM
I can not find overly mode after advance button,where is it?
Baba
Murdoc zaffo44 - Aug 6, 2009 05:52AM
Thank you Zaffo, this is exactly what I needed to solve my problem. It works great now! Thanks again!
Jerry zaffo44 - Dec 23, 2009 04:52PM
Thanks works grate
psychofilly zaffo44 - Dec 29, 2009 10:18PM
Thank you! I updated to Windows 7 from Vista and it reset the resolution on my 2nd (TV) monitor. Your post got me looking in the right direction to resize my second monitor back to it's old settings.
xavndr 2Posts Wednesday December 30, 2009Registration date December 30, 2009Last seen zaffo44 - Dec 30, 2009 09:17PM
Thanx for the heads up. I never clicked that button before and with all the trouble I've had anyway
Inspirion 6000 - XP - same problem VLC works but not to S video - Media player does work.
Theatre Mode Option screen is gray - These overlay settings are only available in dual controller Clone mode. and not single-display or extended desktop configurations. Any ideas?
Answer
+0
moins plus
It could just be that the video card you have is only capable of doing one channel for video output, it is possible that there was a driver update somewhere along the line that allowed multiple channel output, and it is also possible that update caused problems, so the newest drivers had to remove that abillity to resolve this. Theres only one way to know this or something else, talk to the manufacturer of the video card.

for troubleshooting in the meantime:

Try making the tv your primary monitor on your computer. Of course make sure the previous suggestions are set as well (resolutions). To find what the resolution should be for that tv, read the manual for the tv or just do a search online with the model and brand of the tv.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Answer
+0
moins plus
I have been having this problem, too. VLC used to work fine with the S-video cable to my wide-screen tv. Now I have the same problem described by the original poster. The desktop appears just fine on the tv screen and the audio goes to the tv, too, via a cable I run from the headphone jack on the computer. However, the picture screen within the VLC window is just black. As I said, it USED TO work fine. The only thing that has changed is that I answered "yes" a few weeks ago when I got a message asking if I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of VLC. I am thinking there is osmething about the latest version that makes it incompatible with the S-video setup I have. I'd like to go back to he prior version to see if that works. I'll let you know if I figure out how to do that, and whether it works.

Has anyone else here figured out a fix for this?

Thanks.

Answer
+0
moins plus
It turned out to be a driver issue. I remembered that I had to re-install my Windows XP Pro not long ago, and maybe I have not used the S-video cable to the TV since then. So, I went to the Dell site and downloaded the recommended drivers there. (I am using a Dell laptop.)

I hope this helps someone.

cheers . . .

termc

Answer
+0
moins plus
I AM IN PROBLEM IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME SO THIS WILL BE SOOOOO THANKS
I JUST INSTALL GEFORCE FX 5500 GRAPHIC CARD FOR VIDEO OUTPUT PURPOSE.I USE 2 MONITORS
1-WHO ATTACHED WITH MY PC
2-WHO SET WITH MY VIDEO PLAYER
MONITOR NUMBER 2 IS ATTACHED WITH VCR VIA TELEVESION BOX WHO SO HOW CAN I JOINT ALL THINGS
1-MY VG CARD VIDEO OUT WHO I "IN" MY VCR,VCR OUT IS GO TO TV BOX IN THAN BOX OUT VIDEO CABLE TO
ANOTHER (NUM0-2) MONITOR...AM I RIGHT OR WRONG...?
I WANT ALSO KNOW THAT HAVE ANY CABLE/JOINTER AVAIL IN MARKET WHO ATTACTH VIDEO OUT (FROM MY GRAPHIC CARD) TO DIRECT MONITOR DATA CABLE (I DONT WANT ATTACHED VIDEO BOX BETWEEN MONITOR NUMBER 2 AND VIDEO OUT CABLE
PLSSSSSSS HELP ME

PC TV- Aug 29, 2009 07:10PM
View Thousands Of TV Channels, Radio Stations and Videos From Hundreds Of Countries From All Over The World Satellite TV on PC with No Monthly Fees... Ever
http://tinyurl.com/cabletv4pc
Threpid- Jan 14, 2010 01:03PM
Im looking for the same thing. I took the screen off my laptop and want to replace it with a monitor, by hooking the video cable from the card up to a screen.

How can I do it?
Answer
+0
moins plus
Turn off hardware acceleration on your graphics card.

It should work after that.

Answer
+0
moins plus
2009 ELITE EDITION

Get 3000 Stations for a small one-time fee!

it's very cheapest.no fee monthly

for more information go to this site

http://af31700u5yet0lbe4ngbue1lbp.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=BXNNWPV3

Answer
+0
moins plus
i hook up my laptop to my tv using a vga cable which works fine for watching films but every time i put the video to full screen t goes he audio goes out of sync. what can i do to sort this out.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Satellite Direct
Watch TV on your PC!
ONly $49.95 Save 70%!!! Reg Price $149
Watch up to 3600 HD Channels, No monthly Subscriptions! One-time Fee!
This is definitely not a scam. Instead of paying monthly to your cable service provider, why not enjoy the convenience of channels all around the world on your PC!
http://74403fkqy90oqml4yuik4c3pc3.hop.clickbank.net/

Heres a Review of a user of Satellite Direct:
http://www.nextautos.com/satellite-direct-tv-review-is-satellite-direct-a-scam

Answer
+0
moins plus
SOLUTION

Hey

Im runnin a windows 2000 and i had the same problem, I had 3 screens running, the laptop screen, a seperate standard screen and the TV. VLC media Player 0.9.8a

I managed to fix it, I opened

Contol Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Displays

It had 3 options for the moniter, panel and tv, i changed it to make the TV the default screen, The Moniter stoped working but the picture on the TV began working.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Try using a PC to TV Converter you can purchase them from amazon.com for about $30.00.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hello,
I want to watch videos I have on my laptop through my TV. I have bought a VGA cable which I have connected to the TV and it displays the film through the PC channel on the television but no sound! I have also connected a cable (white and red one end) into TV and other end into the headphone jack on the laptop. This produces the sound through the TV but on the S Video channel not the PC channel. So basically I can watch the film with no sound or listen to the film with no visual as they are both on different channels.
Is there a way to have the two working together?? ?? Thanks in advance.

SmoofY818- Jan 4, 2010 10:10AM
To the question about the blank screen with no video picture, try setting your TV as your Primary Display and your Monitor as your secondary Display that allways does the trick on my Nividia graphics card. To the 2nd question about watching video through your Laptop to Tv, VGA is just a video signal line its not audio too so your going to need to run an audio feed to your TV as well to get that audio/video signal working to see and hear both at the same time. On my TV i have a VGA input and RCA inputs too (yellow, red, white) connections so if i had my laptop running to it i would have the VGA line running to the VGA and Red and White Audio lines running to the line out/ headphone jack on my computer. I would check out your local radio shack thats where i get my adapters and such and they can help with your troubles. Good Luck
darida- Feb 17, 2010 11:17AM
Hi, another way is connect your Pc to Tv and use this website: http://www.tubeliketv.com to see them one after another in sequence
Answer
+0
moins plus
http://hubpages.com/hub/-Program-for-Viewing-TV-On-Your-Pc

Answer
+0
moins plus
i had this same problem, but when i downloaded vlc it started working, then i tried a different movie but this time it didnt work. so i tried the first movie and it didnt work, so i tried quicktime player and it worked, i have no idea what is going on but now i just convert all my movies to mpeg4 and they all work on the tv on quicktime

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « Watching Video from my PC on my TV » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.