Dell Inspiron 1525 CD/DVD Drive wont open or work

Closed
cowboys18078 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday May 30, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2013 - May 30, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jun 14, 2013 at 09:28 AM
Hi, a couple days ago I upgraded to Windows 8 from windows 7 and the Cd/Dvd drive stopped working and it wont even open. I installed windows 8 from a USB drive so this might have something to do with it. I tried deleting the upperfilters and lowerfilters and it did nothing. I also tried deleting the driver and uninstalling the Cd/dvd drive and it still does not work. I appreciate all the help I can get, thanks!
Related:

5 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
May 31, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Hi,

You have mentioned, "Cd/Dvd drive stopped working and it won't even open", do you mean the optical drive is not working in Windows 8? If so, please try the below mentioned steps:

1. Check if the optical drive is detected BIOS. If the Optical Drive is detected in BIOS, please follow the next step else, follow step 6.
2. Run Command Prompt as Administrator. Type "cmd" in Windows 8 modern UI and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
3. Type the following and hit Enter
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Verify if the problem still exists. If the problem still exists follow the next steps.
6. Ensure that the optical drive is enabled in the BIOS.
7. If Drive still not detected, Load BIOS defaults.
8. Re-seat the Optical Drive and check. Check the service manual for steps on how to re-seat the Optical Drive. Click here to view/download the Service Manual for Inspiron 1525.
9. If still not detected, the problem is with the Optical Drive and needs to be replaced.

If your question is about the optical drive not ejecting, please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Attempt to manually eject by pressing the eject button in the System Setup (BIOS) after resetting BIOS defaults.
2. Use the "Emergency Eject Option" to open the tray on the CD Drive. Insert a paper clip in the hole next to the eject button on the optical drive.
3. Re-seat the Optical Drive and check if you can eject.
4. If still not ejecting, the problem is with the Optical Drive and needs to be replaced.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6