You have mentioned, "Cd/Dvd drive stopped working and it won't even open", do you mean the optical drive is not working in Windows 8? If so, please try the below mentioned steps:
1. Check if the optical drive is detected BIOS. If the Optical Drive is detected in BIOS, please follow the next step else, follow step 6.
2. Run Command Prompt as Administrator. Type "cmd" in Windows 8 modern UI and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
3. Type the following and hit Enter
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Verify if the problem still exists. If the problem still exists follow the next steps.
6. Ensure that the optical drive is enabled in the BIOS.
7. If Drive still not detected, Load BIOS defaults.
8. Re-seat the Optical Drive and check. Check the service manual for steps on how to re-seat the Optical Drive. Click here
to view/download the Service Manual for Inspiron 1525.
9. If still not detected, the problem is with the Optical Drive and needs to be replaced.
If your question is about the optical drive not ejecting, please follow the below mentioned steps:
1. Attempt to manually eject by pressing the eject button in the System Setup (BIOS) after resetting BIOS defaults.
2. Use the "Emergency Eject Option" to open the tray on the CD Drive. Insert a paper clip in the hole next to the eject button on the optical drive.
3. Re-seat the Optical Drive and check if you can eject.
4. If still not ejecting, the problem is with the Optical Drive and needs to be replaced.
Do reply with results.
To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6