Using a data validation AND an IF formula in the same cell

Solved/Closed
bite_tony Posts 2 Registration date Friday April 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2013 - Apr 5, 2013 at 08:40 AM
bite_tony Posts 2 Registration date Friday April 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2013 - Apr 5, 2013 at 09:21 AM
hi, I have a spreadsheet in excel 2010 where one of my columns uses a dropdown list using the 'data validation' function.
The list details several payment methods. Certain customers always use the same payment method, so I had planned to use an IF formula to autofill the field with a particular payment method to save me time.
For example, Mr Smith always pays by Direct Debit.

However, even though 'direct debit' appears in the drop down list I have made, Excel wont let me input the formula in that cell...

Is there any way around this?
thanks for your help

1 response

bite_tony Posts 2 Registration date Friday April 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2013 9
Apr 5, 2013 at 09:21 AM
!!!
I fixed it!!!

just thought I would put it here incase anyone else is wondering

basically, all I had to do was make sure the conditions were in place for the IF formula to be activated, when I input the formula.

so, if Mr Smith always pays by direct debit, and direct debit appears in my validation list, Excel let me put the If formula in as long as I made sure the row I was inputting it into was a row where Mr smith was paying by direct debit.

that was a terrible sentence, I hope it made sense