Ask a question Report

"My removable device" shortcut virus [Solved/Closed]

LostInThailand 1Posts Thursday March 14, 2013Registration date March 14, 2013Last seen - Latest answer on May 14, 2013 05:07AM
Hello,
When I plug my USB on my computer, a virus hides my files and creates a shortcut called "My removable device".
If I check shortcut's properties it shows this path "C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe ~$WV.FAT32,_ldr@16 desktop.ini RET TLS " ".
Anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
I would really appreciate any help!
Read more 
Answer
+55
moins plus
im having the same problem with my USB flash drive. The files didnt turn into shorcut folders BUT it created a shortcut for my files(removable device shortcut icon). The files are not hidden, they can be viewed once i opened "removable device".

im looking for a solution for this problem, can anyone advise me what to do? ive tried to remove the autorun.inf and the said "virus" using the cmd prompt, and formatted my flash drive, but unfortunately once i plugged back my flash drive it turned again into a shortcut.

thank you so much and have a good day!

Answer
+22
moins plus
Hi,

A common problem with the USB Flash drives is the files turning into shortcuts. After this problem has been identified with your pen drive, this website suggests the following fix:

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/8734-files-on-flash-drive-changed-to-shortcuts

Do reply with results.

spinny- May 11, 2013 05:44AM
its great
Answer
+11
moins plus
If you have virus then scan your removable device. Pick any antivirus like Norton, Kaspersky, Immunet Plus, Bitdefender, Avast, Avira etc. (if you don't have) and scan your removable device after attaching it to system. Virus will be detected and will be automatically removed. When virus is removed from your removable device, don't forget to scan your computer completely, so that every single virus is removed and you don't suffer from this problem again.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Hi shei,

Please run a thorough Virus Scan on your computer (including the USB Flash Drive) and check if this fixes the problem.

Do reply with results.

This document entitled « "My removable device" shortcut virus » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.