SATA HDD not detected in bios. But sometimes it does.

Solved/Closed
firewolf123 Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday March 6, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 24, 2013 - Updated on Aug 18, 2017 at 09:40 AM
 User - Aug 18, 2019 at 05:07 PM
Hello,
recently my pc has started malfunctioning. windows will not boot! when I enter setup (bios) I cant see my hdd. sometimes its there and sometimes not! when I boot to repair disk (when the hdd is detected) and run startup repair it shows like this : "root cause found : the partion table does not have a valid system partition". and sometimes (when hdd is not detected) it shows: system repair cant resolve this issue. in diskpart I cant see my drives. anyway I decided to run super fdisk to correct my partion table. but when I boot to it, it does not detect a hdd. also I did a change in the bios I changed the sata controller from ACHI TO ATA. but when I tried ACHI it does not detect my hdd. currently I have a cd with super fdisk loaded. ready to boot. but cant see my hdd. what to do?

Related:

4 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Updated on Nov 29, 2018 at 04:42 AM
Hi firewolf123,

I am providing the steps for a Desktop machine. Try these steps and check if this fixes the problem:
  • 1. Disconnect the power cable from the computer tower.
  • 2. Press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to remove the residual power.
  • 3. Open the computer cover.
  • 4. Reseat (disconnect and reconnect) the Hard Drive connections (both SATA and power connectors) and check if the computer boots. If the computer works fine the issue is fixed, otherwise follow the next step.
  • 5. Connect the Hard Drive to other SATA ports on the motherboard. If the Hard Drive is detected, one of the SATA ports on the motherboard is bad. If the Hard Drive is still not detected follow the next step.
  • 6. Try a different SATA cable and see if the Hard Drive is detected. If the Hard Drive is detected, the problem is with the SATA cable and has to be replaced. Else, follow the next step.
  • 7. If possible, check the Hard Drive by connecting it to another computer. If the Hard Drive works fine in another computer, the motherboard is bad and needs replacement. If the Hard Drive is not detected in another computer also, you need to replace the Hard Drive.

Note: The steps above require you to reseat the components by removing the system cover/taking apart the chassis. Please perform these steps only if you are comfortable else seek a technician's help. Also, refer to the Service Manual for accurate steps and safety instructions.

Do reply with results.

tnx for the tips, I would try the last tip u have shared..
Good one...........