Switching broken Dell laptop screen to external monitor

Closed
jayrene01 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday March 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 3, 2013 - Mar 3, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Mar 4, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Hello,

My Dell inspironE1505 screen is out and I have been trying to switch to an older external dell monitor I had at the house since I don't have the money to fix my laptop right now. I've tried Fn+F4 and F8. Neither has worked. The screen doesn't come on at all. Can you help!?

Thanks
Related:

1 response

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Mar 4, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Hi jayrene01,

If the LCD on the system shows no display, here are some basic steps to take:

1. If the LCD is not displaying video, run the BIST utility (to run LCD BIST power off the computer, press and hold the `D' key on the keyboard and then press the power button if the LCD is good you will see color patterns).
2. If the LCD has extremely dim video, adjust the brightness or connect an AC adapter to eliminate a power management conservation setting in the BIOS.
3. If the problem is not found using the above two steps and you have already tried the external monitor and it is not displaying any video, this is a video card problem or a POST problem. You might need to replace the Video Card in the machine.
4. Before replacing the Video Card try to reseat the memory modules once as this may also cause video problems sometimes. To find steps on how to reseat the memory modules, please refer to the Service Manual and check the "Memory Module(s) section:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/Common/inspiron-6400x_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Note: Some of the steps above require you to reseat the components by removing the system cover/taking apart the chassis. Please perform these steps only if you are comfortable else seek a technician's help. Also, refer to the Service Manual for accurate steps and safety instructions.

Do reply with results.