Sharing files between Windows 8 PC and Windows XP PCs

Closed
wertron Posts 1 Registration date Sunday March 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 3, 2013 - Mar 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM
MikePS Posts 1 Registration date Sunday June 8, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 - Jun 8, 2014 at 06:28 AM
Hello,

I have been working for days to try to get an older XP desktop to get wirelessly friendly with two other computers, one a Windows 8 laptop, the other a Windows XP laptop. The two laptops can share files just fine, but the desktop cannot. All three are now connected to the same Cisco wireless router. They can all get to the internet through that router. But my main PC is the 8. When I look on it for the other two machines, it can see the XP laptop and exchange files with it (this ability was installed when the 8 was a 7, prior to upgrading it to an 8). BUT when I look on the 8 for the XP desktop, it sees the name of that PC; but when I try to access it, it tells me it cannot find the machine. I have tried pinging the desktop from the 8. Doesn't work. But I can ping the 8 from the desktop just fine. Further, I run Norton 360 on the 8 and it can see all the machines, their IP addresses, etc.

The one thing that is different about the desktop is that it uses a USB device (Trendnet) to access the router, not a native card in the PC. (The desktop was given to me by a friend. I wiped the hard drive and did a clean install of XP Pro on it.)

Please help. I have been fighting this problem for nearly two weeks!

Thanks.

WERTRON

Related:

4 responses

pablojorgesanguinetti1 Posts 265 Registration date Friday February 22, 2013 Status Contributor Last seen November 27, 2020
Mar 25, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Hi Wertron:

File and print sharing between different Windows operating systems it's a little bit tricky. Be sure to read this official Microsoft tutorial Sharing files and printers

Good luck!
lrcco Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 28, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Hi Wertron,

Did you ever solve this problem? I just purchased a Windows 8 machine and am having trouble accessing just one of the several Windows XP machines on my home network with almost identical symptoms.

Appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks!

Lance Carlson
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Aug 28, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Lance,

Have you read the tutorial suggested by Pablo above? It contains the solution to your issue.

Regards

Ambucias
MikePS Posts 1 Registration date Sunday June 8, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014
Jun 8, 2014 at 06:28 AM
Sadly the MS tutorial for Win8 was written by someone with a custom version of Win8 or its just a joke. Step 2 instruction says "Press and hold or right-click the network you're connected to, and then tap or click Turn sharing on or off." unfortunately there is no right click menu. DAH. Thanks for the help MS!
lrcco Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 28, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Hi Wertron,

I did indeed, and my issue was not resolved.

I'll continue working on it - just wanted to check and see if you found some different solution than I've already read about.

Thanks very much!

Lance
Blocked Profile
May 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM
If you are still on windows 8, and not 8.1, there is serious network issues, that 8.1 fixed. Upgrade to 8.1 and see if that helps.
just a quick way is to just right click the file you want to share click share share with specific people ane select everyone in the drop down menu and click add it will now be available on the xp pc