Ask a question Report

I deleted by mistake,my internet options

bndhar - Latest answer on Nov 6, 2009 11:02AM
Hello,i have deleted my internet options in the control panel.some of my programmes on my destop depends on the support of it to work.which means i can no longer open any by clicking on them,i thing i may have deleted it from my xp windows programme.i have tryed system restore but it was some time in 2008 when i made the error,and system restore will not allow me to go back to july 2008.in control panel i have tryed clicking on internet options,but all it does is flickers for about a second but does not open.does this mean i will have to re install xp.i have worked so hard to get my p.c to how i want it,and whould be a big blow if this is the case
Read more 
Answer
+5
moins plus
Hi There
I'm pretty sure we can get you up and running again. The first thing I would do is a SFC from the command line
To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

"sfc /scannow" without the quote's this will check your system files and replace them if any are missing etc. You might need your XP disc if your I386 folder is not on your hard drive.

Hopefully that should sort your problems out.

If not you could do a system repair with you XP cd, with a repair you should not loose any of your data but I would back up as a precaution.
Hope this Helps Kindest Regards Tony B.

bndhar- Feb 17, 2009 03:08PM
hi brakers,i retyped the command and sure enough it works.the scan did as you said it would.the only problem i am not any the wiser,after the scan was completed it just wented off without giveing me any report about my issues raised with you.i inserted my xp disc thinking something was going to happen,but zilt.any orther idea how i can get back my internet option.which i need to set my settings in explorer 8.which does not work.cheers bndhar
brakers 165Posts Sunday August 17, 2008Registration date November 29, 2009Last seen - Feb 18, 2009 03:11AM
Hi There SFC /scannow should of put thing right, but seen as it didn't you have two options.

You say you deleted this in the control panel but this can be a technique employed by some malware
that wants to make it more difficult for you to clean up your PC.

Anyway with that in mind as I said you have two choices edit the Registry which I pobably don't think you will want to do that

Or you can do a system repair as on one of the previous messeges advised.

This should repair you system without destroying any of your files etc but I would back them up first just in case.
You will need the COA serial no of your windows instalation.

When doing this make sure when windows asks if you want to repair windows by using the recovery console you decline and use the other option.

Windows will then look for installed versions of windows when it has found it, it will ask you if you want to repair windows or do a fresh install.
You will want the Repair. If by chance it does not find your windows installation if you go any further it will install a fresh copy onto your system.
Hope This Helps you Good Luck
Tony B.
bndhar- Feb 18, 2009 05:13PM
hi brakers.thanks for your time,i have tryed to repair windows,by following your advice.some how i am not wining.loaded xp cd +rebooted the computer followed the instruction.but got lost along the way.when it ask for me to type which command.can you advice on the second option.edit the register.i have backed up my pc.computers are a great invention but when they go wrong.it makes you scream.can i be honest with you tony? i am a pc novice so your help is of great value.bndhar
brakers 165Posts Sunday August 17, 2008Registration date November 29, 2009Last seen - Feb 19, 2009 04:58AM
Hi There

If you ended up at a command line then you probably did not follow my instructions corectly. You might of gone into the Recovery Console which I said not to I have retyped the instructions hopfully making them a little clearer.
Lets try again as if you are a novice the registry is not the place for you.

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the
boot order in the system BIOS so the PC boots from your CD. Check your system documentation
for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the three
options below This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer: the one I have highlighted in bold is the one you want

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Once you have pressed enter Windows will start the setup
do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the
Recovery Console, press R", (you do not want to load Recovery
Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP
installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4.When the License Agreement comes up Accept it by pressing F8 and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list "on most computers there is only one" and
press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options
then if you continue it will install a fresh copy onto your PC
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your
applications and settings will remain intact. You will need you COA or should I say your install serial no. which should be stuck to you PC.

Hope this Helps Regards Tony B.

bndhar- Feb 22, 2009 02:09PM
hi brakers,thanks for all your help,i messed up somewere along the line so i had to reinstall xp.
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
Use add/remove programs in the control panel and rollback from IE8 to 7 or earlier. This should restore your Internet options. Then run windows updates and upgrade your browser again. I don't think sfc /scannow will work. At least i know it doesn't when viruses are the cause. There's registry keys that need to be tweaked and this is a good work around.
johnny- Nov 6, 2009 11:02AM
my internet is on windows internet explorer 7, and i must have delted one of the peices, and now it wont work, i dont have any of the software either so how can i get my internet running again?
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
hi,
if you are not being able to fix the problem by using the System Restore tool, you may try to do a repair by using the Windows CD.
insert the CD and then reboot the computer. you will be prompted to either do a repair, install windows and exit.
press R to repair your system.
then follow the instruction wizards.
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
thanks for your reply john,its been along time since i asked the forum for the help.i up and runing again .thanks again.bndhar
Add comment
This document entitled « i deleted by mistake,my internet options » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.