I have a dell inspiron mini laptop screen staying black

Closed
tloveday28 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday January 23, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 23, 2013 - Jan 23, 2013 at 08:35 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Apr 30, 2013 at 03:02 AM
Hello,
i have a dell inspiron mini laptop, only had it for about two weeks. I bought it from my brother so it is used, but it was hardly used at all. I used it for like two days of the two weeks ive had it, then I turned it off before bed when I went to turn it back on the next morning you could hear it booting up and all that stuff but the screen is staying black. all I have done to it is remove the battery and replace it after blowing some of that air duster in there around that area. does anybody have any idea what could be causing this problem or how to possibly fix it?? wondering if its a lost cause at this point! I sure hope and pray not! if anybody has any ideas please try to help, I really need this computer working my kids have a lot of homework that we need it for!! thank you for taking the time to read this. hope you all have a wonderfully blessed day!!!

Related:

3 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 24, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Hi tloveday28,

This could be the problem with the LCD panel or some video related failure. Try the below mentioned steps and see if this helps you identify the issue:

1. Power off the computer.
2. Press and hold the "D" key on the keyboard and then press the "Power Button" while still holding the letter "D". Check if the color patterns are displayed on the screen.
3. If the color patterns are displayed the screen is working fine.
4. Power off the computer and this time power it on using the "Fn" key and Power Button.
5. Check if it comes up with any error code.
6. If there is no Color Pattern displayed or any Video in any of the steps from 2 through 5, this could be a problem with the LCD panel itself. Take help of a local technician or yourself reseat the LCD Cable.

Note: The steps mentioned above require you to open the computer chassis. Before you open the computer chassis ensure all power connections including battery and external devices are removed. After removing all of this, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to release any Flea Power in the computer. Preferably take a technician's help.

If you need help with LCD cable reseat steps, please reply with the Exact System Model Number of your Dell Inspiron Mini Laptop.

Do reply with results.
dravid4746 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday April 27, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 27, 2013
Apr 27, 2013 at 09:28 AM
I have a Dell Studio 1558 laptop.
The display was working fine till some time back before shutting down when I was trying to startup the computer the display is not coming. The power button lights up on switching it on and you can hear the fan sound,
there is no any beep but there's no display.
if I push the power button for turning off it is goes immediatly off within second .Is the problem with the LCD screen or might there be a connection problem? Please help!!

i Just found that my screen showing colour pattern if I Press D whille starting up
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Apr 30, 2013 at 03:02 AM
Hi dravid4746,

As you have mentioned the power light is on, there are no beeps heard and no video appears, this indicates a possible video failure. Please follow the below mentioned steps to identify the issue:

1. Run LCD BIST (Built in Self-Test) by powering on the computer using `D '+power button. Check if color patterns appear. If no colors appear on the screen this indicates the test has failed, for this the LCD panel needs to be replaced, else follow next Step.
2. Check Video on external Monitor, if available.
3. If video is displayed on the external monitor and no video on the notebook LCD, this is another indication that the LCD has failed and needs replacement.
4. If there is no video on external monitor this indicates that the video chip on the motherboard is failing and hence the motherboard should be replaced.

Once determined the point of failure is LCD panel in steps 1 and 3, take a technician's help and re-seat the LCD Cables before replacing the LCD unit. You can refer to the service manual for details on how to re-seat the LCD Cables. You can view/download the Service Manual from the below mentioned link:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_studio_laptop/studio-1558_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Note: The steps mentioned above require you to open the computer chassis. Before you open the computer chassis ensure all power connections including battery and external devices are removed. After removing all of this, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to release any Flea Power in the computer. Preferably take a technician's help.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6