HP laptop can't connect to internet

Closed
dtheo Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday January 9, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 13, 2013 - Jan 10, 2013 at 03:58 PM
dtheo Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday January 9, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 13, 2013 - Jan 13, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Hello,
My HP Elitebook 8440p no longer connects tot eh internet from my wireless router. Other devices work ok, so it is just this computer.
i have rebooted the router and flushed the dns and also had tech support help but they could not provide a solution.

thanks for the help
DT
Related:

3 responses

dtheo Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday January 9, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 13, 2013 1
Jan 13, 2013 at 08:49 PM
it is working now. maybe it was the LAN settings (opposite of what my IT/help department suggested!)
I'll close this once I try it again and confirm it is working

thanks for the help!!
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 10, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) First check your SSID and the security key.

2) Check if you are laptop is able to acquire IP address, subnet mask etc from the

router. Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd and press Enter.

[If you are using Windows XP then Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press

Enter.]

"Command Prompt' will be opened. Enter the below command

ipconfig/all and press Enter.

Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers

are having addresses.

3) Internet Explorer :

Right click on the "Internet Explorer" icon---->Click on "Properties"---> Click on

"Connections" tab-->Click on LAN settings button. In that window uncheck all the

options, if you notice any option selected.

4) Open the command prompt and enter the below command

netsh I i r r --> Press Enter.

If the problem still exists, try disabling either your antivirus or firewall.

Good Luck
dtheo Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday January 9, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 13, 2013 1
Jan 11, 2013 at 06:18 PM
i did 1-3 and all addresses are there and I unchecked the LAN settings, but was unable to perform #4 - The requested operation requires elevation (Run as administrator).

Admin rights are probably blocked since it is a work computer
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 12, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
1) Open the command prompt and check if you are able to ping to your default gateway,
Follow the step 2 from the above instructions and copy the gateway IP.
Now try to ping by entering the below command
ping default-gateway-ip ---> Press Enter,
Let me know if you are able to get the reply messages.

Now try pinging to google, Enter the below command.
ping www.google.com ---> Press Enter.
Let me know if you are able to get the reply messages.

2) If the problem still exists then try disabling your antivirus or firewall temporary and check if you are able to connect to the router. You may require administration permission.
3) If the problem still exists then open the command prompt and enter the below commands
ipconfig/all > d:\ip.txt --> Press Enter.
tracert > d:\trace.txt --> Press Enter. Wait for the process to get completed.
Now go to your D drive. You will notice two text files with filenames as ip and trace.
Zip those file --> Upload it in www.speedyshare.com --> Paste the download url here.
Good Luck