How do I connect my PS3 using a mobile modem?

Solved/Closed
...spikepit Posts 2 Registration date Thursday February 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 12, 2009 - Updated on Aug 9, 2017 at 04:59 PM
 ImranDoet - Aug 9, 2017 at 07:11 AM
Hello,
I stupidly joined a contract with 3 for a Moible Broadband USB Modem before I got my PS3. I have a friend whom says he connected his PS3 to the internet via networking to a USB Mobile Modem Vista PC, but for the life of me I can't work out how to do it!!!!! Its frustrating me, the way games are made these days there's only a certain amount of gaming to be had off line. Any help would be much appreciated and I'll be your best friend!
Related:

15 responses

hey there.

I dunno if you've got it to work yet. I had the same problem, and have the same usb modem. I managed to get mine to work without a router, and just an ethernet cable. It's quite simple, and here's how:
  • If you're on Windows, do Windows+R and then
    ncpa.cpl
  • right-click on your internet connection and select properties. On properties, click on 'Advanced' or "Properties" and tick the box that says 'Allow other users to Connect through this computers internet connection'
  • You will get a little message that comes up that says that you must redial your internet connection.
  • No head over to your PS3. Make sure you've got the ethernet plugged in properly, and scroll to the 'Network settings' tab, under 'Settings'. Select "Internet Connection Settings", and click X. From here it will ask for either an easy or Custom connection. Select the easy setting, and from there it should detect your IP Address, and Clarify an internet connection from your pc to your ps3. Save these settings, and you are ready to go.

Hope this helped. If not, leave your query, and I will be glad to help more.

Goodluck
Hey Wazza!

Thanks mate, I ended up workin it out. Im on Vista and used about 2months ago used an ethernet cable and networked it. Tanks mate!
i use what u said but it never worked I have XP step did not work 4 me
bro you left the directions out on how to do it with vista after you line 2. I have a sony laptop with vista and I cant get them to connect following what youve said.
It wasn't able to work me for me either, it keep saying that it couldn't find the ip address.....
Gday Mate,
I tried what you said in regards to connecting with a mobile modem and an ethernet cable however I now can't get the PS3 to obtain the IP address??? This is so frustrating and i'm really computer illiterate, so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks..
hi guys. I use a laptop with vista, a usb 3g dongle to connect my ps3 to the internet I see some ppl are having problems with dns erros, I had that problem to after some searching on the internet I came across opendns and used there dns numbers instead of my dongle searching for them. here we go step by step guid how to do it..

1) of course you need a ps3, laptop, ethernet cable and a dongle..
2) open the properties of the 3g connection, go to sharing, then click allow other network users to connect through this computers connection..
3) go to networking along the top, double click internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
4) then click use the following dns server addresses - 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 then apply.
5 connect to the internet, then connect the ethernet cabel

heres the addy for the dns server addresses www.opendns.com in case you lose them. and no it doesnt brake your computer, ruin software or crash anything lol. it works just fine as long as the signal from your dongle is good.. like I said it works fine for me I top up £15 to get 3 gigs and that lasts me about a month, but I also download a lot of things from my laptop using that credit.. so enjoy
Hey Jonny, it seems your advise was good. I actually had it working before I read your post but it seems more reliable now. Particularly when it comes to accessing my shared files via the ps3. Just need them to start allowing us to listen to music in game now. I recently had to un-install my 3 dongle and that caused my previous set up to be deleted so I've had to do it all again but I started facing problem which is what led me to start looking online and eventually come across your post. Getting to the point, I was just wondering if you know how to save the set up once it's working because since having lost my previous set-up I now have to reconfigure it all every time I log onto my pc? I managed to get it set up so that I could just start up my 3 connection, turn on the ps3 and be away but I can't remember how the hell I did it. Oh by the way, If you ever find your getting your connection dropping out whilst in use, I think you'll find it's windows firewall and possibly defender as they caused me a lot of hassle in the past as did norton 360. I dont use any of them anymore. Well take it easy and I hope to here from you sometime soon.

snowtrouper

p.s snowtrouper is my psn name if you ever want to get together for a bit of gaming.
jonny > snowtrouper
Jun 1, 2009 at 05:13 AM
alls I do is just click ok, I have to admit sometimes it saves the dns numbers sometimes it doesnt but for a working connection and having to put the numbers back in again now and then I dont mind. and yes I do have preoblems with my connection dropping so thanks for that ill turn of windows defender and firewall and give it a whirl. ill add you on psn tonight. it would be great to play our own music while playing game, but I did read somewhere they might let us do that in an update. when I aint a clue lol
Greetings.

im the idiot whom started this thread at the top. I went to the link you prescribed and now my PS3 is reading my files (pics, music, movies) but the playstation still isnt connecting to the net?! Now what? Anyone?
I did exactly what you said and it wont save the settings as it keps comin up saying I need to restart the conection for changes to take place. I do this and there back to defalt. I also tryed it without resarting and still no luck. Im using a orange 3g and on vista. Can u help me.
Just thought I would mention this method worked for my XBOX 360, I routed it from my dongle using the dns server info you mentioned. Had to set it up twice but it worked great, I have now shared it with my wireless router so xbox, two laptop and a WII are all online together with no problems, I will say however that in order for online play you will need to disconnect everything other than the xbox as lag is a bitch, especially with COD MW2, on its own tho its great, no lag! All on a usb 3G dongle, how cool is that. I have been on for 7hours + and have so far used about £0.80p and thats including the laptop and WII usage. Im very happy with it and will continue to use it. Thanks dude
I got mine working. I'm updating my PS3 right now via my laptop's connection as I type this (2.80).

Here's how I hooked my PS3 to the net. It might have been said before but whatever. I have a USB modem which I use to connect to '3 prepaid', a laptop with Vista, a PS3, and an ethernet cable.

Laptop:

I went into 'Network and Sharing', and then into 'Manage Network Connections'. Right click on the 3 icon (or whatever ISP you're with), and click 'Properties'. Go into 'Sharing' then tick 'Allow other users to share this computer's internet connection'. In the box below this ('Home Networking Connection), choose 'Local Area Connection'. Press 'OK'. It will advise you of some stuff, but just press 'OK'. As long as you haven't diabled any relevant services (networking/sharing), your computer won't 'voice' any objections.

Now for the PS3:

Make sure you've connected the ethernet cable from your computer's ethernet interface to your PS3's ethernet interface. Go into 'Settings', then 'Network Settings'. Now choose 'Internet Connection Settings'. It will then say 'If you perform Internet connection settings, the system will be disconnected. Press 'YES'. Select 'EASY'. It will check for 'Network Configuration'. For 'IP Address Setting', choose 'Automatic. For 'DHCP', choose 'Do Not Set'. For 'DNS', choose 'Automatic'. For 'MTU', choose 'Automatic'. For 'Proxy Server', choose 'Do Not Use'. For 'UPnP' choose 'Enable'. The list of everything you've chosen will then be shown. Press 'X' on your controller. Press 'X' again to test the connection. Your PS3 will test the connection. You should be successful in obtaining an IP address, and with establishing an internet connection. It may tell you to update your PS3's software. Do this through 'System Update'. Make sure you set 'Media Server Connection' to 'Disable' otherwise you may get an error about 60% or so into the download.

Hope this helps.
RE: ethernet cable - do you use a crossover or a patch cable between the PC and the PS3?
jimmy figrolls
Sep 19, 2009 at 01:20 PM
hi dude,
i followed your steps but no joy.
what type of ethernet cable did you use was it paired or a crossover cable.
sky > jimmy figrolls
Sep 19, 2009 at 02:34 PM
I had a similar question, but no response. Did you ever figure out whether to use patch cable or crossover cable?
heya thanks for all the tips but ive tryd every 1 of them an still nothing I have briged it now it sais its connected on the laptop until I test it an so on it sais a network cable is unpluged??? DO YOU NEED A CROSSOVER CABLE OR SOMTHING ?im using a single ethernet cable after all this I have got the ip addres succeeded but internet connection failed connection to server timed out , im using a dodo wireless usb modem off a dell laptop anymore ideas would be great...
Lizard King AKA RoadKill
Dec 29, 2009 at 02:38 AM
Yesssssssssssssssss it Worked i'm updating my PS3 as I type this message anyway any hardcore gamers out there @ 3 am eastern (on the PS3) just got that NFS Shift
Look 4 me Lizard King AKA Roadkill
trevgsr5 Posts 6 Registration date Wednesday February 17, 2010 Status Member Last seen February 24, 2010
Feb 17, 2010 at 09:57 PM
Ive been playing PS3 online with O2 3G mobile broadband for the last 2 years, Its actually simple enough. All you need is an Ethernet cable. Connect the cable to your laptop and PS3, next go in to control panel on laptop and select "network and internet connections" then select "network setup wizard" Follow the instructions. Make sure the PS3 is on when your doing this. Next go in to the network setting on the PS3, set up the internet connection settings for wired connection, if you pick the easy method it should do it automatic. When thats finished it will run a test and if set up right it will find you IP address and you'll be able to log on. All the best!
fastest easyist I used that jonnys before worked a treat for months never failing then today I spend allday looking for this thread trying dns numbers and ip adresss this works best and easy nice one mate

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
how to connect a ps3 to a 3 broadband using a laptop and an ethernet cable
1 go to manage network connection
2 right click on 3 broadbnd and go down to properties
3 in properties goto sharing and allow other networks to use that connection
4 on the playstation goto setup a network put all setting on auto the only setting you need to change is the MTU value it will be set at 1500 you need to lower it to any thing between 1400 and 1460 for it to work
you are a legend I have been trying for hoursssss
by Waza
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey there.

I dunno if you've got it to work yet. I had the same problem, and have the same usb modem. I managed to get mine to work without a router, and just an ethernet cable. It's quite simple, and here's how:

1- If you're on XP, navigate to your "Connect To" panel where you can see your usb modem connection, e.g "Vodafone Mobile Connect". And if you're on vista, go to network and Sharing.

2- If on XP, right-click on your internet connection and select properties. On properties, click on 'Advanced' and tick the box that says 'Allow other users to Connect through this computers internet connection'

3- You will get a little message that comes up that says that you must redial your internet connection.

4- No head over to your PS3. Make sure you've got the ethernet plugged in properly, and scroll to the 'Network settings' tab, under 'Settings'. Select "Internet Connection Settings", and click X. From here it will ask for either an easy or Custom connection. Select the easy setting, and from there it should detect your IP Address, and Clarify an internet connection from your pc to your ps3. Save these settings, and you are ready to go.

Hope this helped. If not, leave your query, and I will be glad to help more.

Goodluck
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fallowed all this step but after that I got the following error "IP Address timed out", but I manage to fix it and I'm going to detail what I did.

I have a Sierra Wireless card Compass 597 and I'm using Window XP ( I need to try this with Ubuntu)

1) Go to --> Start
--> Control Panel
--> Network Connections

2) Now select the mobile broadband connection (mine was called Mobile)
--> Right-Click on it
--> Properties
--> Advanced

3) At the bottom theres the "Network Set Up Wizard" --> Click it

4) Press --> Next
--> Next
--> Click in the box that says "Ignore disconnected network hardware" and press Next
--> select the first option "This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers
on my network connect to the internet through this computer"

5) Choose the mobile connection e.g

Mobile Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO Modem #3
--> Click Next

6) Now choose the private connection.
- In order to connect the PS3 to the computer you need a 'Lan connection'
mine was " Local Area Connection (Lan)"
--> Click Next.

7) Give the Computer a description or name
--> Click Next

8) Name the Network
--> Click Next

9) File and Printer sharing (its up to you if you want to share it or not)
--> Click Next

10) Then Click Next and the change will be done.

11) Go again to step 2 and Under "Network connection sharing" check the box that saids:
"Allow other networks users to connect through this computer internet connection".
Then in the Home Network Connection bar choose the Lan connection that you created in the Wizard.
In my case "Local Area Connection"

I left my IP and DNS in auto acquire for the Lan and the Shared Mobile connection. I hope this help to the people that got the timed out error (just like myself). If this work and you able to update the PS3 try to restart the PS3 because after I updated it the error happen again but after I turned of my laptop and PS3 everything was ok again.
can I connect my internet to my ps3 using verizon wireless broudband
im using wireless broadband USB does that work ?
now there's been a red card at fratton park
has there? I didn see anything
according to our sources there been a red card
oh I seen him go off thought was a sub
this laptops a advent and doasnt have wizard a think were is it.
I could use this translated into vista if anyone can help. Because I also have the problem of "Attepmt to obtain an IP address has timed out"
aGUYwhoHELPEDu
Apr 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM
OK THIS IS EXACTLY HOW YOU DO IT AND THIS IS THE 100% RIGHT WAY!

Ok once you have your internet installed on your computer and its working which should already be done lol heres what you do.

Plug the ethernet cable into the back of your computer in the ethernet cable slot and plug the other end of it into your ps3 or wireless router.

Then click on "Start" then go to "Connect To" then click on "Show all connections"

then once your there RIGHT CLICK on your internet which mine is Alltel Wireless Internet but it should say your internet provider lol. but when you right click it go to "properties" then go to "advanced" then click on "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection"

And if theres not "show all connections" when you go to "connect to" go to "network connections". and the internet that is shared should be "Local Area Network" and make sure its enabled.

Ok there you go thats how you do it lol and its not as complicated as it sounds.
Right people ill try go tru this in abit more detail!
1, Switch on PS3 and laptop/desktop and connect the two with your Ethernet network cable (cat 6 if possible)

2, click START and enter CONTROL PANEL on laptop, then select NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS, then NETWORK SETUP WIZARD, click next tru the first two pages, on the 3rd click IGNORE DISCONNECTED NETWORK HARDWARE, on the 4th page click THIS COMPUTER CONNECTS DIRECTLY TO THE INTERNET option, 5th page select whatever internet connection you use, 6th page select the ETHERNET option, then keep clicking next until it runs the setup. once its finished it should give you a few options, pick the option that says FINISH

3, On ps3 select NETWORK SETTINGS on the main menu, then INTERNET CONNECTION SETTINGS, select EASY method, then WIRED CONNECTION, after that just keep flicking right until your asked to run connect test.

When the test runs it should find the ip address, If it find it ok there should be no reason why it wouldnt find internet connection or playstation network. If you have any trouble redo step 2, when it finishes, run the internet connection test on its own on ps3. You might have to try it a few times if its still givesyou problems.
The only problem with this is if the PS3 freezes or ur signed out for no reason ul have to run step 2 again and do a connection test. It can get annoying at times.
I dont use this setup myself anymore! I found a 3g usb router from dovodo. The great thing about this is you dont get connection faults that often and if you do its only a matter of signing in again. Plus I have wifi everywhere in the house!
I hope this helps, If your still having trouble maybe look into getting a router!
Anonymous User
May 5, 2010 at 03:35 PM
The Fist Thing you do is to share the 3 connection to the connection of the ethernet cable simply plug in the ethernet cable to you ps3 go to network settings -> internet connection settings -> custom -> wired connection -> auto-detect thats it your ready to go

Add Me
Psn ID: marc6194
You have to buy a mobile broadband router similar to this one:

https://5gstore.com/

the older ones use a PCMCIA slot, and there are newer ones that use USB or both USB and PCMCIA. Make sure you get one that supports USB.

Another alternative is to use your computer as a router. You can hook up an ethernet cable from your xbox to your computer, and bridge the connection between your USB modem and your LAN network connection.
Plz. I have same problem but im using "Vista" not xp.. Can u Help me Step By Step,, thank u
how do u connect using vodefone dongle and I have advent laptop
TheBlueFalcon
Nov 16, 2009 at 12:39 AM
Thanks omg it worked iloveyou

add me on psn, TheBlueFalcon

cept the first "L" is an uppercase I

:)
go on youtube and tipe how do I conect my ps3 to my dongel and follow instructions . all you have to do is put ethanet cabbel in go to my computer then network settings click propites then go to sharing tick alow other computers to use my network(top one) then click ok then go to ps3 and do network settings. click easy. then wierd and then just keep pressing right till the end then do test. hope it workes mate
* 1- If you're on XP, navigate to your "Connect To" panel where you can see your USB modem connection, e.g. "Vodafone Mobile Connect". And if you're on vista, go to network and Sharing.
* 2- If on XP, right-click on your internet connection and select properties. On properties, click on 'Advanced' and tick the box that says 'Allow other users to Connect through this computers internet connection'
* 3- You will get a little message that comes up that says that you must redial your internet connection.
* 4- No head over to your PS3. Make sure you've got the Ethernet plugged in properly, and scroll to the 'Network settings' tab, under 'Settings'. Select "Internet Connection Settings", and click X. From here it will ask for either an easy or Custom connection. Select the easy setting, and from there it should detect your IP Address, and clarify an internet connection from your pc to your ps3. Save these settings, and you are ready to go.
go to control panel and click on veiw network status and tasks then click veiw status on your connection then properties then sharing check the box at the top then press ok and redial your dongle and the use you eternet cable to connect your laptp to the ps3 and then network settins on your ps3 then set up a connection then wired then skip etherything then test your connection
if you have a iphone you can us pda net. to connect to your desktop or laptop]. then after you connect your iphone with your computer. you just have to use a internet cable to connet to your ps3. then it should work but it would be a little slow when you get online for ps3