External USB hard drive doesn't show up in My Computer

Solved/Closed
AkemiHomura Posts 2 Registration date Friday November 16, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 16, 2012 - Updated on Nov 11, 2018 at 06:02 PM
 Gajendra - Oct 12, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Hello,
My External USB Hard Drive doesn't show up in My Computer Win 7 64bit.

I've just received my Western Element 2,5Tb today. When I first plugged it in, it worked normally. But due to my over-excitement, I copied too much files at the same time and it wasn't working anymore. I regretted doing this immediately.

I have searched on the internet to find some solutions but all of them didn't work. I've checked the Computer Management, Disk Management, but nothing about my External HD showed up. In the notification area, my laptop still detected it and I can removed it properly [even though I can't use it at all].

I tried to connect to my USB and another Samsung 500Gb HDD. And it worked perfectly fine.

Then, I tried to connect my new HDD to my sister's lap [she is using Window Vista] and it worked perfectly fine too.

I don't know what to do anymore. Please help me.

Related:

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Updated on Nov 30, 2018 at 07:12 AM
Hi AkemiHomura,

I checked your message and the error screen shots. Thank you for the detailed description of the problem. I see that you receive this error message in Disk Management console:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

Try using the below mentioned steps and see if the issue is fixed:
  • 1. Click Start and type Diskpart in the search box.
  • 2. Right-click diskpart in the search results > click Run as administrator.
  • 3. Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter.
  • 4. You should notice that you will see your 2 TB Western Digital Hard Drive, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.
  • 5. Type select volume 1 (replace 1 with the volume number assigned to the Hard Drive in question).
  • 6. Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it).

If it still doesn't work, please try the steps provided in the below mentioned link and check if the Hard Drive is detected in your computer:

https://ccm.net/faq/2372-external-usb-hard-drive-not-recognized-in-windows

Do reply with results.

I had a similar problem with a 2tb WD passport. Your solution worked a treat. Great job. Thanx.
Thank you, it helped really fast.. the diskpart utility... thanks a lot brov..Cheers