Hidden files on my hard disk...

Closed
poogle Posts 2 Registration date Sunday October 7, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 9, 2012 - Oct 7, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 9, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Hello,

I went through the similar post by rayan on Nov7 2011 and the solution given by sundar7701 including discussions thereafter; tried all the options but am still not able to see all the files and folders.

there is one hidden folder which i am neither able to unhide nor delete that same folder is giving access denied results...

it is "RECYCLER" and inside this folder there is a file with the name of "S-5-3-42-2819952290-8240758988-879315005-3665" which is the root cause and every time it returns the message "you require permission from the computer administrator to make any changes" where as I am logging in as administrator and also am runnig the cmd file as administrator!!

I had some 150GB of data in one folder and another 120GB in another folder please help me recover the data

Thanks

poogle

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Oct 7, 2012 at 05:06 AM
They are some folders like "System Volume Information",$recycle.bin where the

user don't have access to it.

For such folders "Access Denied" message will appear. So don't worry about it.

Enter that command, wait for a while until the process get completed and then

make sure that your files are removed from hidden mode.

OR

Try this 1

Click on Start --> In search box, type folder options and press Enter.

[If you are using Windows XP then type folder options in Run and press Enter]

"Folder Options" will be opened. Click on the "View" tab.

Now select the option "Show hidden files, folders or drives" and uncheck the

check box "Hide protected operating system files" --> Click on "OK" button.

Now look for your files in your external drive.

Later undo the changes you have made by once again going to "Folder Options"

--> Click on "View" tab and click on "Restore Defaults" button --> Click on "OK".

Good Luck
poogle Posts 2 Registration date Sunday October 7, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 9, 2012
Oct 9, 2012 at 04:01 PM
Hi Ambucias thanks for the reply in fact I had tried all the mentioned remedies before i uploaded the post.
The problematic folder is RECYCLER.000 which has malicious content and not $recycle.bin
The properties of that folder shows Hidden attribute as checked and in grey, which means i will not be able to uncheck the box
the problem remains unresolved...
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Oct 9, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Hi Poogle,

Got it. Try this:

1. Search for the process called CTFMON.EXE and kill it through Task Manager.

2. Search CTFMON.EXE file in the Startup menu and delete it.

3. Boot the system in safe mode and open the command prompt.

4. Disable hidden, system, and read only attributes for autorun.inf and recycled folder delete them.

5. Clean the recycle bin.

6. Repeat these steps for all the drives on your computer.

7. Open registry editor and modify the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry with 03ffffff value after searching it in following registry folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWARE

8. Reboot and scan your system with latest antivirus software.

Good luck