Computer Won't Read Recovery Disc

Solved/Closed
globalcrusader Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2012 - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM
 Rookie - Sep 4, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Hello,

My computer crashed. It's a Toshiba Satellite Laptop A130

When I tried to use the recovery disk the thing says BOOTMGR is missing restart

When I tried again and quickly press F12 as it indicates, I get Boot Menu

I select DVD/CDRW UJDA770 - (SM)

Then it says Windows in loading files

After that it ends up saying

Cannot read from the source file or disk
PREINST2.SWM
Type: SWM File
Size: 643 MB

Can you help?

Thanks

Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Sep 8, 2012 at 03:59 PM
Hi again,

Toshiba does not use recovery disks to restore to factory settings, it's all on the hardrive in a recovery partition.

Here is what I suggest:

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.

Good luck

P.S. I hope I just helped a democrate!
Thank you so much!!! I've been searching for a solution for 2 weeks and this did it!
Works like a charm. When I bought my lap top they Home Depot charged me for 4 recovery disks. Where they just screwing me? Thanks for the help.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Sep 8, 2012 at 03:33 PM
Greetings,

I'm afraid that you will need to restore back to factory (out of the box) settings.

Sorry as you will lose data but it's better than a morbid lappy.

Regards
globalcrusader Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2012
Sep 8, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Thanks for the message. The thing is it I tried that and it says it cannot read the disc. So I can't seem to do anthing so far.