Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Google 404 Error NGINX FIX - This one works!! [Solved/Closed]

lynx41 3Posts Friday August 31, 2012Registration date August 31, 2012Last seen - Latest answer on Mar 5, 2013 03:36AM
I have just spent about 3 hours on this malware issue that misdirected my browser when attempting to go to my home page at Google.com, thus giving me a 404 error message and below that nginx. Somehow, the malware bypassed my anti-virus software, which is supposed to block out this rootkit redirection malware? Anyway, most of the answers that I got from various forums were good ideas, but didn't work. I must have tried about 10 different tech support solutions and all of them failed, until I tried this one. For those of you who have no tech support background or little understanding of how all this works, I will give you a brief, but clear explanation here, so you can proceed with some confidence.
First of all, Google did not kick you out from it's search engine, so relax! You got this error message as a result of a type of malicious software called, Malware. Malware comes in many forms, but this nasty one is particularly hard to detect with anti malware because it manipulates your root kit and redirects it. My Avira anti virus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and several other fixes did not correct this problem alone. Finally, I found that this following combination of fixes did work and here it is:
1- Update and run your anti-Virus to eliminate every virus, esp the trojans. Don't quarantine anything! Just delete what it finds.
Reboot
2- Update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Run all fixes
Reboot
3- GET Kaspersky-TDSSKiller Rootkit Malware Remover, run it, and fix what it finds:
http://download.cnet.com/Kaspersky-TDSSKiller/3000-2239_4-75722087.html
Don't Reboot until you do this:
4-Copy and paste these lines in Note pad: (XP Pro)
@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0
Save Notepad file as flush.bat to your desktop (Change type of file to all files & leave encoding to ANSI). Close out Notepad and then double click on flush.bat. This will reset most of your critical host files back to default values and flush out any redirects still resent in your caches. As soon as batch file completes its process, your computer will restart automatically.
If you have no idea what step 4 is all about, get with a friend who understands operating Systems and some programming. Hopefully, they can guide you a bit here. For those of you who do understand this lingo, just proceed on.
When you get back to your desktop, open up your browsers and you should be on Google.com with no errors, if you have made Google your Home Page.
God Bless You all
The Lynx
Read more 
Answer
+10
moins plus
Thanks a lot, it worked.

Though, I skipped the first two steps and started directly with step nr. 3.

It worked. Thanks

Answer
+3
moins plus
I forgot to mention that after your computer reboots, you OS system will ask you to run a file? This is the TDSSKiller File that you previously installed. It is basically wanting to recheck your system. Just cancel the process, unless you think it should be run again. I just ran it once and it worked the first time, after finding a deep seated rootkit redirect in the registry.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Thank You!!! worked perfectly... : )

Answer
+3
moins plus
Thanks -- but this put my computer into an auto reboot loop of some sort. It will boot up, give me google as the home page, but then as soon as I click on another site, the screen goes dark, and it reboots. After six times of the same response, it's clearly something not right with my system! Can you help me solve this dilemma? It works in safe mode, so I can access the responses, thanks.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Thank you so freakin' much. Worked perfectly. You are a godsend.

This document entitled « Google 404 Error NGINX FIX - This one works!! » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.