Google 404 nginx Error

Closed
VTM - Jul 2, 2012 at 01:48 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Hello,

I posted this issue earlier, but in some way may have offended someone or unknowingly violated a Kioskea.net policy.

I am re-posting the problem here:

I know that this issue has been around for awhile, and I have read a number of "solutions". However it is brand new for me, as it just started yesterday.

I would really appreciate some assistance with this problem, as I have already tried a few things but without success.

I have run "PowerEraser" and I have checked for entries in the HOSTS file without finding anything out of the ordinary. "PowerEraser" did not find any threats and the HOST file did not have any extraneous entries.

Google.com resolves to 50.31.75.56 (ping from the CMD environment) when it should resolve to something like 74.125.224.70.

Clearly something (other than an entry in the HOSTS file) is modifying the IP address.

Please help me to find a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Related:

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 2, 2012 at 02:01 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) Click on the below hyperlink "Fix" and download the file

Fix

Double-click on it and follow the instructions.

2) Disable the proxy if it exists both in Internet Explore and in Google Chrome.

3) If the problem still exists then click on the below link and follow the instructions

given under "Diagnosis"

http://ccm.net/faq/24698-zhpdiag

Good Luck
Thanks for your suggestions.

I should have mentioned in the original post that I had already run the Microsoft HOST file "fix", even though the HOST file on the PC did not have any extraneous entries. The 'fix" did replace the HOST file, but the problem remains.

I do not use any proxies, so that doesn't appear to be part of the problem.

The fact that the "google.com" name resolves to what appears to be an incorrect address (when being "pinged" from within the CMD command environment) would seem to indicate that the problem is not browser related.

I am hesitant to download your suggested diagnostic tool, as it isn't one that I have ever used or even heard of.

I do want to thank you for taking the time to provide suggestions.
Here are a few other interesting facts about the problem that may or may not be useful:

1. Using "nslookup" from within the CMD environment does, as would be expected, return IP addresses for URLs. However, when www.google.com or google.com are attempted, the lookup simply times out. It appears that something is blocking the lookup.

2. After an attempted access via a browser, the DNS cache contains a bogus address (50.31.75.56) that does NOT match up with any of the known addresses for www.google.com or google.com.

3. If the HOSTS file is modified and entries for www.google.com and google.com are added, pointing to valid addresses for Google, the problem disappears, As expected, the DNS cache then contains the CORRECT IP addresses when they are present in the HOSTS file, after accessing the URL via the browser..

Clearly, adding the HOSTS file entries merely treats the symptom, but does not address the root cause of the problem.

Hopefully, these observations may provide "clues" for someone who is more knowledgeable about this than I am.

Thanks again.
One other fact that may or may not be useful is that changing the "http://" to "https://" when entering the Google URL into the browser will allow the page to load normally even without the URL to IP address entry for Google in the HOSTS file. I don't want to confuse the issue here, but thought that this might be another clue.

Thanks again for helping.
I'm wondering if I should post this problem in a different area, perhaps under "viruses", but I don't want to violate any policies. It "cross posting" to another area allowed, or can an "admin" determine if this post should logically be moved elsewhere?

Thanks!
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Sorry for the late reply
Follow the above instructions given in the step 3. Don't hesitate to download that diagnostic tool.
Its a more useful tool compared to Hijackthis etc.
Good Luck