No web pages displayed but connected

Closed
charlie3 Posts 2 Registration date Friday February 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 9, 2009 - Feb 7, 2009 at 04:49 PM
 LeadLemon - Oct 7, 2009 at 03:31 AM
Helloi have a laptop on windows xp,it was working fine then just changed this week.i conect to internet through three dongle, which is fine,but all web pages have stoped being displayed.i cant even get into google so on pc at the moment.but I really need to get the laptop going again,can anyone help please.i have tryed a few things but not sure what settings are supposed to be enabled or disabled any more.please help.

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Feb 7, 2009 at 08:41 PM
You might try the following:

you may have a DHCP problem - DHCP gets the IP address from the router - to test this assumption you can enter the following address for Google http://74.125.95.99/ in your browser. If the browser does in fact connect to Google you can use the following steps to help resolve the problem. I have had mixed results with these tools and can't guarantee anything:

the first thing to check is NetBIOS over TCP/IP

>> Open up network connections (In Control Panel)
>> Right click on your network (Your wireless connection)
>> Click Properties
>> In the "General" tab click "Internet protocol" (TCP/IP)
>> Click "Properies"
>> Click "Advanced"
>> Click the "WINS" tab
>> Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button (This is NOT the default option)

The next item to check is the DHCP service itself:

click on start, run, enter 'services.msc'

look for DHCP client....
if it says acquiring network address that means that the dhcp client is DISABLED OR STOPTED... highlight the

DHCP client and on the left side you will see "START" the service, click on it and then it will say "STOP,

RESTART" then double click on the service and on the startup type select automatic, apply

Symptom
DHCP Client Service may not start automatically. When you attempt to start the Service manually, the

following error may be displayed:

Error: Could not start the DHCP Client Service on local computer
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Resolution
The DHCP Client Service in Windows XP, depends on these three components:
* AFD
* NetBios over Tcpip
* TCP/IP Protocol Driver

If one of the above drivers fail to start, then the DHCP Client Service may not start.
Step I - Make sure that the three driver files are present

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to /Windir/System32Drivers folder. Make sure that the following files

are present in the folder:

* afd.sys
* tcpip.sys
* netbt.sys

If one or more of the above driver files are missing, extract them from the Windows XP CD-ROM or from the

ServicePackFilesi386 folder, whichever is the latest version.

Step II - Verify the number of Dependencies

From other sources in the Web, I've found that some versions of Norton Antivirus (NAV) adds an entry to the

DHCP Service Dependencies, and removing NAV does not remove the appropriate value from the DHCP

Dependencies.

To quickly determine the Dependency services for DHCP Client Service, type the following command in Start,

Run dialog:

CMD /K SC QC DHCP

Verify the output. It should be exactly as below:

[SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: dhcp
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:WINDOWSsystem32svchost.exe -k netsvcs
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : TDI
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : DHCP Client
DEPENDENCIES : Tcpip
: Afd
: NetBT
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

If additional entries are listed under DEPENDENCIES...
If any other additional drivers or Services are mentioned in the DEPENDENCIES section, you need to remove

them via the registry. Follow these steps:

* Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
* Navigate to the following branch:
* Backup the branch to a REG file

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services Dhcp

* Double-click DependOnService MULTI_SZ value and set it's data as follows:

Tcpip
Afd
NetBT

* Close Regedit.exe

Step III - Verify that the Dependency Service / components are running

Next step is to verify that the three dependency components are running. As the three components are

actually the Kernel Drivers (Driver Service), you need to manage then via the Device Manager. Follow these

steps:

* Click Start, Run and type DEVMGMT.MSC
* In the View menu, click Show hidden devices
* Double-click Non-Plug and Play drivers section
* Double-click the entry - AFD Networking Support Environment, and click the Driver tab
* Set the Startup type to System.
* Start the service. Note down the error message if any.
* Similarly start the two other drivers namely:

* TCP/IP Protocol Driver
* NetBios over Tcpip

* Close Device Manager and restart Windows.
charlie3 Posts 2 Registration date Friday February 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 9, 2009
Feb 9, 2009 at 11:23 AM
it does not connect to google so didnt try eveything else any other ideas.thanks
clarkey > charlie3 Posts 2 Registration date Friday February 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 9, 2009
Feb 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM
Well its funny you are having the same problems as me I to have a lap top with the three doogle and it to wont display anything and ive tried restoring the lap top the connection is fine with three as I can use it on the pc but for some reason it shows connected on the lap top but wont display any pages its doing my head . so if there is anyone out there that can help it would be moslty appriated
jaybirdy > charlie3 Posts 2 Registration date Friday February 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 9, 2009
Sep 26, 2009 at 06:47 AM
I have the same problem did you ever get it to work? I cannot get to google or anything assiciated with it...
Dear Freinds,

99% your problem will be solved if u install & run winsockfix software can downloaded from softpedia website https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml#download or simply search it in google....
The winsock fix did not work for me. So I guess I'm in the 1%.

In fact, I've tried just about everything suggested on the 'net except wipe and reinstall everything.

My desktop connects fine on a direct cable connection, but my wife's laptop - which connects to the router wirelessly - has developed this same problem of no page display (although I can ping various sites still). Nothing has been changed on her laptop for months and this just started a few days ago. Does not work even when I connect her to the router via cable.
T Floyd > slade
Aug 17, 2009 at 04:41 PM
Did any one ever figure out how to fix this problem? I downloaded IE 8 and it worked fine for a while, no all of a sudden it won't display a webpage at all. It says my connection is fine and even checks my mail but can't get on a webpage at all. I have gone through everything microsoft says to on its troubleshooting page and it still won't work. Thanks
Thanks for the winsock tip, you rock mate.
if I cannot connect to web how am I gonna download it!!
LeadLemon > cupcake11
Oct 7, 2009 at 03:31 AM
"If you are using Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) there is a command that can be used instead of Winsockxpfix. It works by resetting the winsock catalogue. Click Start, then Run and type CMD in the dialogue box that appears, and then click OK. Type netsh winsock reset into the DOS window that appears."

Check out (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/internet-explorer-help-23360e49-9cd3-4dda-ba52-705336cc0de2?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US
I seem to have the same problem. I tried downloading IE8 and ever since then I can't get any page in IE to open. Internet is connected and I can use the internet through Firefox but I just get a blank screen in IE with tool bars at the top but no functionality (i.e. freezes). I'm no techo but thought the problem might be in the settings, but my computer won't let me access Internet access settings either now. Pain in the butt. Wish I'd never tried to upgrade to IE 8.
winsock fix did not work for me either :(