Local Disk C: Won't Open

Solved/Closed
Hanku - Feb 6, 2009 at 11:33 PM
 nitish - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:44 PM
Hello,

Somethings wrong with my computer when I double click on local disk C: I get this error message...

Windows cannot find RECYCLER/s-7-0-76-100012312-100030475-100024956-4936.com

and I have no idea what to do please help me.

20 responses

If no one has mentioned it, a program called Autorun eater will fix it,

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Autorun-Eater.shtml#download

it is usually part of a bigger problem, I fixed it by running Avast, Prevx, and Combifix.

No problem since.
Thanks Birmingham that program worked like a charm
thanks this program work perfect
Thanx..but what is RECYCLER some of my drves contains this how I can remove dem??
thank you veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh your autorun eater link helped me veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you very much birmingham
Birmingham - that autoruneater works great. Thanks for the link.
The only thing I can think for you to try right off... well 2 things.

you can try to download the update from here: https://www.avg.com/fr-fr/free-antivirus-download

or try to run the AVG as is and see if it comes up with anything. If you are having a problem downloading them, let me know and I will email you a copy of the DAT files, you will just have to tell me what version of AVG you are using.

Chances are, if its similar to what was on mine, it will not allow you to go to any virus scan site, nor will it allow you to update what you have. It will probably also not allow you to go on to windows update (which by the way also has a decent scanner) We did have a variant of the same virus on our desk top which ironically could not play any media files NOR would it allow access to the CD drives at all. I had to use a memory stick.
I have the same problem on my computer. It even stops me downloading the antivirus software. It is really annoying. It directs me to wrong websites from my google search results, stops me updating the Windows through Microsoft official website, and stops me open hard drives directly. I actually did my PC recovery to the factory setting. The computer still has the same problem. I don't know what to do. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
OK... I got the same virus with the sound problem included, I am wondering if your variant also had files under the name quadra? my AVG is taking its insane amount of time n I got things 2 do any help would be great.
offewgr Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday September 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 19, 2009 6
Feb 7, 2009 at 02:27 AM
hi,
try to do a system restore.
set your computer to a date when you were not encountering these problems.
>start
>all programs
>accessories
>system tools
>system restore
you you may repair your windows bt inserting the Windows CD
will not let me do that either
Azim > elderdjc
Jan 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM
Try this one step-1 > install IObit security from www.iobit.com or copy this link ( https://www.majorgeeks.com/ ) (its a 100% free software) and run a scan for the whole computer then you will see a virus(HIJACK..HIDDEN FOLDER) and delete it.

1) Double-click on My Computer on Desktop.

2) Choose Tools and select "Folder options"
- Click on "View" tab, select and untick "Show Hidden files and folders" and "Hide Extention...." then click on apply.
3) back to "my computer" right click on C drive and select explore then you will see "Autorun.inf" delete the file.
4) go back to "Folder options" Click "View" Tab, select "Restore Defaults" and click on "Apply".
5) "Restart" your Computer.

Hope you can solve the problem.
Regards.
Ummm I tried that I got that error recently too
buh for some reason it prevents you from system restoring too
Did you figure this out yet? I just went through it, and I would love to tell you its easy. Basically, you have a virus.

Get AVG free anti virus (or some other antivirus) Make sure it is completely up to date, and do a FULL system scan. Its going to take a while, but thats the way it is. It should find 3 or 4 "hidden" files with basically nonsense names with "quadra" in them somewhere, I had 4 on mine (2 were .dll files, 1 .sys file, and 1 .pot file) Run through the whole fix thing. Its going to tell you it couldn't remove those files. Click on the tab that shows the non fixed issues, and you can delete them from there.

After you have gone through that whole deal, then you can run your system restore.

Basically the virus is an Adware program. On mine, everytime I searched google, I would click a link and it would take me to a fake search page called find-o-link.
i had same problem with the downloading stoping, webpages redirecting and avg wouldnt update, I had to reinstall wich fixed everything. and how I just deleted the RECYCLER files on my 2nd hard drive and cant open it by double clicking it but I can open from right click explore.. o well.. iv download to much now to do a system restore.. meh

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I have an idea..... I don't know if it will work in your situation, but you can try it. In talking to some computer geek friends of mine, they were saying one of the "new Big" things that adware programs are doing is basically routing your computer through a proxy, which is either loaded onto your machine or via the internet. Now like I said this may not be the case on your machine, but its an easy thing to try.

Firefox: go to Tools - Options - Advanced - Network tab - then settings in the connection part. This will bring up your proxy screen. Check the box for either no proxy or automatically detect, you may have to try one then the other depending on how you connect to the internet. That's it.

Internet Explorer: Tools - Internet Options - connections tab - then LAN Settings. Be sure that you do not have a check next to "use automatic config script" and no check next to "use a proxy server"

Hope that helps.

Also, Birmingham - that autoruneater works great. Thanks for the link.
also safe mode is not working and auto run eater is only finding .inf files, and has not found .dlls
hey

i had the exact same problem as this, the recycler virus.

i manually deleted the autorun files that were in my C drive and D drive before I ran the autorun eater
the autorun eater fixed my external hard drive but it doesnt find anything in the drives that are actually in my computer

the recycler folder is still in my C and D drives; and my MSN isnt working

any fixes would be appreaciated
It depends, first, did you open an e-mail that said 'Hallmark Card' or something? If so, your computer has a virus. This virus burns your Hard disk C and you can't open it again until you get an anti-virus thingey. When it's all installed, shut your computer down for 24 hours to let it all soak in, if you turn it on too early, you will have to do it all again and your C disk won't open until it soaks in. You may even have to let it rest more than 24 hours if you have an old computer or a laptop. If you follow these directions, you can open your Hard Disk C again, if not, try a different anti-virus thing and repeat the process. I heard about this on the news, but don't know what a Hard Disk C is. Will you tell me?
Froggy,
I don't know if you're seriously trying to help or just an asshat looking to annoy people, but please never post anything ever again. That was the most computer illiterate post i've ever read and doesn't belong anywhere on a technical help forum.
I tried the autorunfixer and it removes it then the auto run fixer finds it again, I remove it, etc.
I am having the same problem... Autorun eater is removing the autorun files however there just being recreated...
Thanks to the guy who suggested us the Autorun Eater program. Did the work awesomely. Removed my Autorun.inf virus that was giving me error in opening C: But my error was that I double Clicked C: and it showed a new window like C: was acually a file that needed a program to open it (In this case it could be opened with explorer.exe located in C:\Windows). It also fixed the prog of hidden files not showing due to being disabled by virus(trojan actually).
autorun eater is the bees knees
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII BRO IF UR DRIVE CAN NOT OPEN BY DOUBLE CLIK THNN JUST GIVE ME UR EMAIL ID ON MY EMAIL ID I,LL SEND U FILE THN SEE THE MAGIC JUST DOUBLE CLICK ON MY FILE THN YES U R FILE IS 100% RUN ITS MY PROMISE
hi nik, i'm in big trouble. can't open my d: drive. c: is accessible. I ran IObit and found 19 threats and were removed. deleted autorun.inf on c:, after re-boot...still couldnot open d: drive...it says whhen double clicked - disk is not formatted!

pls help
go to command prompt in( run then type cmd) and write this command

c:\> attrib -r -s -h autorun.inf
c:\> del autorun.inf
d:\> attrib -r -s -h autorun.inf
d:\> del autorun.inf

then restart machine

Note.(Change the drive path for whatever one is not opening eg C:, D:, E: so on)
That RECYCLER is an virus if your anti-virus does not pick it up you have to upgrade it our you have to download AVG Free
Hello,

Somethings wrong with my computer when I double click on local disk C: I get this error message...

Windows cannot find RECYCLER/s-7-0-76-100012312-100030475-100024956-4936.com

and I have no idea what to do please help me.

Configuration: Windows XP
Firefox 3.0.6

Okay This is the same thing I'm getting but with a couple extra things....

1. AVG wont update
2.cant install any other virus detection or Spyware software....
3.disabled the windows firewall....and it wont let me access it to turn it back on,
4. I get basic sound but if I try and play with Divx or window media player I get no sound....

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Hi,

I first came across this problem at one of the Schools I support. Obviously a virus and this is what worked for me.

first of all, take a backup if you are not confident! or create a restore point!

1) Click Start | Click Run
2) Type cmd | Click ok or press return (Enter)
3) Type the following in Command window: del_c:\ _*.inf_ /f/s/a/q ( _ = space between, no spaces between f/s/a/q)
Hey Hi MT . .

the solution which u gave of typing the command (del_c:\ _*.inf_ /f/s/a/q) in d command prompt did nt work gud for me at all . . instead all my files n other stuffs gt deleted n I hv suffered a major loss . . kindly give me a solution 2 recover those files . . plz plz plz . . it would be really help ful . .
tuy238 Posts 1 Registration date Friday March 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 15, 2009
Mar 15, 2009 at 07:55 PM
I tried Avast and Prevx first, but they didn't capture the virus. Then I run Combifix, and in a DOS window it tells me I need to wait for 10 minutes or more for my computer disks being scanned, but I waited for 3~4 hours, and it didn't show any scan result.

It even stops me getting access to Kaspersky and it is so annoying.
Hey I don't know if you tried this but with avast before you run a scan it will pop up with a thing that asks you to scan archive files you have to check that and I probably will detect your virus then.
Thanks Birmingham that program worked for me too

I had the exact same problam
Blocked Profile
Mar 20, 2009 at 03:13 AM
I think you should repair or maybe reformat your pc I don't see any other solutions
The Quadra is the exact same thing I had. The easiest thing to do is let AVG run its full course - include the root kits in the scan. Just need to be patient with it and let it do its job. I will guarantee that it will take probably 2 or 3 sweeps to completely rid itself. I have the Full edition of AVG with the live scan or whatever the hell its called. That picked up files over the next few days that would try to reinstall the same virus.

Also, after AVG runs its course, use the Autoruneater mentioned above by Birmingham.

Thats what worked for me.
thaks uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Birmingham. I am stunning its working. thank u
Thaks uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Birmingham. I am stunning its working. thank u
try this one step-1 > install IObit security from www.iobit.com or copy this link ( https://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=6088&file=15&evp=5918647a8ed413bd6c60abd240a68891 ) (its a 100% free software) and run a scan for the whole computer then you will see a virus(HIJACK..HIDDEN FOLDER) and delete it.

1) Double-click on My Computer on Desktop.

2) Choose Tools and select "Folder options"
- Click on "View" tab, select and untick "Show Hidden files and folders" and "Hide Extention...." then click on apply.
3) back to "my computer" right click on C drive and select explore then you will see "Autorun.inf" delete the file.
4) go back to "Folder options" Click "View" Tab, select "Restore Defaults" and click on "Apply".
5) "Restart" your Computer.