External Hard drive files wont show up

Solved/Closed
TallOne - Jan 13, 2012 at 03:43 PM
 Bob - Jun 19, 2014 at 04:28 PM
Hello all,

Recently, there was a virus on my dell studio xps 7100 that my 2.27TB external hard drive was plugged into. I got rid of the virus (I think) and plugged my Hard Drive into my other desktop. It says that there are 1.63TB/2.27TB of space remaining, but when I double click on it, no files are shown. I know they are not gone because then I would have extra space.

Here are the methods I have tried:

Safely removing the Hard drive and plugging it in again (Did this with my other computer too)

Properties-> Tools -> Check Now (Error checking my External Hard Drive)

Restarting computer

I have also tried going into the command prompt and used the dir/ah method, but only the FOLDERS are shown. I organized my hard drive with 7 folders (movies, machinima, anime, etc), but none of the actual videos are there. It's because I don't fully understand how to use this method, so if anybody can elaborate on this it or introduce another solution entirely would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Harry
Related:

1 response

Okay I fixed it. For anyone who cares, it turns out that my files were somehow hidden. I have windows vista, so to fix this go to start -> control panel -> folder options -> view -> show hidden folders or files.

Then I went to all the transparent files (they are the hidden ones), right click -> properties -> general -> clear the Hide box on the bottom.

Cheers
Blocked Profile
Jan 22, 2012 at 01:17 AM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing solution with us ,

Regards,
I just want to say thanks for sharing this. My tower sets on the floor under my desk and I keep my 1tb drive on top. While plugged in it fell off bouncing on the floor. When I tried to vew the files suddenly ALL my movies were gone. Thank you so much!