Red lines/dots on LCD screen

Solved/Closed
Gija - Dec 6, 2011 at 06:45 AM
 Ian - Feb 25, 2012 at 08:38 AM
Hi,

I am having some problems with my LCD-screen on my Asus N53SV laptop (bought new 3 months ago): Red lines (vertical) and dots appeared after a slight fall to the floor, and have gradually increased in size and amount. I sent the laptop to the Asus Service Center to have them check it out, and their only solution was to replace the screen at a cost greater than the value of the entire laptop.

I have tried the following (mostly suggestions found on Google):
- Change resolution: Lines/Dots appear at the same place regardless
- Connect external monitor: Connected by HDMI to a TV, and no lines appeared there
- Re-attach monitor-cable: I de-attached the screen and took the cable out and in again, but with no result.

And I have by that concluded that it is a hardware problem, contained to the actual glass screen. Luckily, I can get a new screen at a fourth of the price that Asus claims is necessary to repair it, but I wanted to hold off that option until I was sure that this wasn't something I could fix without a new screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might try to fix the issue?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM
I agree that the screen is the problem and needs to be replaced. This replacement is not something that the average user can do. I suggest you pay a qualified tech to do it.

Good Luck
Thank you, I'll order it and replace. I should manage to do it myself, since I had no problems de-attaching it to try the connector cable.
I dropped my Asus A42JC, the red dots and lines appeared 2 days after. There were only few red dots/lines on the right side of the screen. Is there any option other than LCD replacement? Btw, how much did you pay for the screen?
You should try checking if the cable connecting the screen to the graphics-board is loose - if so, reconnecting it could solve the problem. If it does not, the screen might need replacing (even though there are no visual faults with the glass itself, there might be internally).

Mine cost about $200, but I paid almost double to get high-resolution (1920x1080) and glossy finish. If you live in Europe, I would recommend http://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/, it's where I got mine - and the price + shipping was quite reasonable, and they also have suggestions for alternative ways to fix the problem.
I'll bring it to the service center and have it checked. I hope that the problem is just the cable connecting the screen to the graphics board is loose, since it took 2 days after I dropped it (which might have got shaken up while I was driving today) before the red dots appeared. That's possible isn't it?
Thank you Gija! :)