Another computer with the same IP address

Solved/Closed
Blackdragon47 - Jan 29, 2009 at 08:11 AM
 Shaq1976 - Sep 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Hello, I Was setting up my D-Link N Wireless router and when the install wizard was working I got a windows message that said that another computer on the same network had the same IP address as mine. My computer runs on windows vista and my internet provider is Bridgemaxx(WiMaxx) What does that mean and how do I fix it?

4 responses

The solution is not, repeat NOT, a fix. A secured network can also have the same problems.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jan 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM
You were using a non-secure network and someone near you connected with the wireless router before you did. If you turn on encryption (WPA) then the other person can't use your router/internet connection.
troubleshooter
Mar 25, 2010 at 05:23 AM
Hi! I am reading your problem regarding you have same IP Address with someone. If you have your own router, I am thinking you're using a non-secure network. I would suggest to reconfigure your router by starting all over again.
Shutdown your computer, your router and modem. Then start with your modem, once the light is stable, turn on your router and connect the UTP Cable from modem to Router, connect another UTP Cable from router to computer and start the configuration. I am telling you this, to enable to setup again your network and make sure you put a password to your router so that nobody can access your system. Good luck.
Hope this simple instruction can help you.
This means that both of your computers are using the same IP address. You probably have the same static IP address assigned to both machines. I would turn on DHCP on both machines to get an IP address assigned automatically.