Toshiba Slte L300 Cannot find hard disk

Closed
Davidiso - Oct 21, 2011 at 07:38 AM
 Davidiso - Oct 21, 2011 at 09:29 AM
Hi
My Toshiba Satellite L300 running XP will not boot. I get "Cannot find hard disk" when I run the XP repair/installation. Sometimes it says media cable error.
I bought and installed a new hard disk, but this has made no difference?
Any ideas?
I've tried various solutions on different forums but no help.
Thank you in advance.
Related:

6 responses

Anonymous User
Oct 21, 2011 at 07:41 AM
Hello,

Try this:
Go to BIOS --> Make sure your hard disk is detected in the BIOS --> Set the first boot device as hard disk -->
Save the settings and exit from the BIOS.

Good Luck!
Thanks for replying Boinik.
I have tried this many times, and have tried all manner of different combinations of boot order too. Same result I'm afraid.
Anonymous User
Oct 21, 2011 at 07:56 AM
Ok try this:

1- Verify your boot options are properly set in CMOS setup. We recommend having the CD or disc drive as your first boot device and then hard drive as the second boot device.

2- If your CMOS Setup has an option to boot from the LAN disable this option.

3- If you have changed any CMOS settings, make sure to save and reboot the computer.

4- If this does not resolve the issue, try resetting the CMOS values to the default settings, save and exit.
Thanks again bionik

I have tried this in the past too, but it didn't help.
Just tried again to be sure. But no luck

Do you think it could be some other type of hardware failure, as I have tried with a new hard disk as well?

I get the message PXE-E61 'media test failure' error when I boot without the XP CD

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Anonymous User
Oct 21, 2011 at 08:29 AM
Ok,

The problem PXE (PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable) occurs because the computer tries to boot from a network device and it can't find it, then asked to check a cable (network) is connected .

Just open your computer (OFF), unplug your hard drive and then clean the connectors by blowing hard above for example and then plugging it back.

If this does not work, try to replace the cable that connects your HDD to the motherboard.

Good Luck!
Thanks once again.

Have blown/vacuumed the connectors and tried to check them, but I'm probably out of my depth here. Couldn't get it started.

The old disk seems to start Windows, I get the repair windows screen, but then I get a blue screen for a split second and it goes into a loop.

The new disk simply gives the media test failure error.

I guess I'm going to have to take it in.
yet another laptop bites the dust :)

Thanks for all your efforts

David