Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

HELP!No option for Dell Factory Image Restore [Solved]

Blue Raeven - Latest answer on Jun 15, 2014 02:50AM
Hello,
I'm gonna jump!!!! I swear! I'm so frustrated.
I have an Dell Inspiron E1705 that came with Windows XP. I've had so many problems with it that when a friend said he got Windows 7 Ultimate free, online, from a YouTube hack, I let him talk me into letting him install it on my laptop. I KNOW IT WAS WRONG but I was desperate! Now I've lost all the great features that my XP came with (as it wiped my hard drive clean when he did this) AND as if by MAGIC, Windows KNOWS!!! I keep getting message about me not using "genuine windows product" so I want to go back to using WXP. The problem!?!? F8, (which worked fine for me without CTRL) gets me to the Repair My Computer option, but NO WHERE is there an option for Dell Factory Image Restore (or anything of the like). The Operating Systems disc that my Dell came with will run but the first option, to "Install Windows XP Media Edition" is greyed out and won't let me select it. I got as far (once) as my computer asking me to put in my Windows 7 disc to complete an uninstall but I don't have one (though my friend said there was a virtual one made on a virtual drive...any suggestions?) and ALL I WANT is to get rid of this Windows 7. During the installation I remember it told us that it was saving the old windows system as WindowsOld (something like that) and it is there on the hard drive, but again, of NO use.
PLEASE PLEASE help. I'm about to trade my virtue for even a CHANCE at being done with this!!
Thank you SO much in advance for any help.
Read more 
Answer
+16
moins plus
After hours and hours of searching for a solution to there being no "Factory Image Restore" option, this is what I did to reset my own Dell laptop (should really work on any manufacturer) to factory original. Of course, be sure you have your documents backed up before beginning as you will lose everything.

Assuming your recovery partition has not been damaged (if it has, this will not work)

Download Hiren's BootCD from http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
Burn Hiren's BootCD to a CD
Put the Hiren's BootCD into CD Drive and Reboot computer
Select "Mini XP" from the menu
Double click on "My Computer"
Identify the partition that you use for your operating system
Right click on that partition and select "Format" to ensure a clean install
Identify the recovery partition and go to the "Imaging" folder
Right click on the "Imaging" folder and select "Command Prompt Here"
At the command prompt type (substituting c for your particular recovery partition and e for the partition that you use for your operating system)

imagex /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 e:\

After the image is successfully applied, close the command prompt.
Close "My Computer"
Remove Hiren's BootCD from CD Drive
Reboot computer

Your computer should now be reset to factory.

And as a bonus, if you try and use the Dell DataSafe Restore it will be there now! Woohoo!
gaurav- Jun 15, 2014 02:50AM
I was facing the same problem. However my recovery partition os is windows 7. Regardless i followed the above approach and it worked for me. Thanks for the solution
Add comment
Answer
+2
moins plus
This is a pointer to the Microsoft instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

Good Luck - and remember you are NOT smarter than Microsoft!
Add comment
This document entitled « HELP!No option for Dell Factory Image Restore » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.