Windows starts up, no icons or taskbar.

Solved/Closed
Needshelp - Jun 6, 2011 at 03:42 PM
 Anonymous User - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:34 AM
Hello,

On my laptop that runs Windows 7, only the wallpaper and cursor shows up. No icons, no taskbar, nothing... I try to run safe mode by holding down F8 and it only delays windows from starting up normally until I let go of it, sometimes making an annoying beeping noise in the process. Ctrl + Alt + Delete does absolutely nothing, so I can't access Task Manager. The only thing I can do is access the F2 and F12 menus before Windows boots. Please help!!!
Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Jun 6, 2011 at 03:58 PM
Hi,

Check for any related logs in event viewer.

I'd suggest you follow these steps and check.

Step 1:
Boot your computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Step 2:
If it does not, then most probably there is a third party software conflict that may be causing the issue to occur. I'd suggest you put your computer in a clean boot state and check. Clean boot eliminates third party software conflicts.

Note: Follow step 7 to boot your computer back to normal mode.

Step 3:
You may also consider running a virus scan using your security software or run an online scan using the below link to check if the issue is caused by a virus/ malware or a spyware.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

Good Luck!
The problem is I can't even get it to run in Safe mode. : /
Wait... I finally got Safe mode to run after the 5000th time. I killed the explorer.exe and ran it again and everything is back to normal. :D
Anonymous User
Jun 8, 2011 at 12:34 AM
Happy to know that it come to come to the normal. Thank you for your feedback.