Ask a question Report

No sound from my laptop headphone jack [Solved/Closed]

Crazed - Latest answer on Oct 9, 2012 03:43PM
Hello,
i have sound coming out of my laptop speaker but no sound from my headphone jack
Can you help me ?
thanks
Read more 
Answer
+1362
moins plus
I had/have a similar problem. Go to the control panel, then to hardware and sound, then sound. You should see something called manage audio devices. Plug in your headphones and see if they show up.

If they don't, then either your divers(these things will tell your computer what kind of hardware it has and how to use it) are missing or the the headphone jack itself has failed. Lets say it is in fact your drivers that are missing, then all you need to do is either use windows update(it will detect many of your missing drivers) or go to the manufacturers website and look for them there(usually they will have a tab somewhere on the home page that will say something about support or downloads). And also try different headphones, those could have messed up as well.

Now lets say that you do see the headphones show up as an audio device. Then all you need to do is set them as the default and that should fix your problem. Though I will say that I currently have a problem with switching between the two. Once I start a program such as media player, it will stick with the current default audio device.

I hope that helps you.

josh cassidy- Jun 28, 2010 05:15PM
thanks
arup- Jul 2, 2010 01:03PM
thanks a lot ,it is really working..............
abrdn- Jul 2, 2010 05:52PM
tnx problems solved.
GS- Oct 7, 2012 11:53PM
thanks for that its working
Answer
+343
moins plus
dude I know how to fix it I had this exact problem!!!
Go to Control Pannel
click on Hardware and Sound
click on Sound
then you devices should come up ; speakers, Digital Audio, and headphones
plug your headphones in
then select headphones
at the bottom it will say set as default
select that!!
then when you disconnect your headphones it automatically switches to the speakers and when you plug them back in it automatically will switch to headphones!!
boom!!!!
there ya go man!!!
it took me like 2 hours to figure that out lol.. hope i was helpful

ady shm- Apr 17, 2010 07:05PM
its works thanksss :)
kabir- Apr 27, 2010 03:14PM
wow thanks so much clifton that was so helpful thanks alot
kabir- Apr 27, 2010 03:14PM
thanksssssssssssssssssssss so muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh clifton
balla- May 22, 2010 12:37PM
and what happens if there isnt the option of having the headphones?
Spaceexpress- Jun 5, 2010 02:51PM
Hi, Clifton, I dunno if you'll ever come back and read this thread. But I want to thank you. You solved my issue with my headphones. I did like you said, and after I tried shutting down my browser and starting it up again (I'd been listening to an online radio station and realised I needed to shut down my browser to see if your suggestion would work), it worked perfectly. I guess this is one of the good things about the Net - that people are willing to post on forums like this and help others out. Thanks to you and everybody who posted offering advice to the rest of us!
Answer
+144
moins plus
It won't let me click 'Set as default' :( Help please!

Answer
+55
moins plus
RealTek HD Sound Problem
This works for my 7540 Acer laptop w/ built in Speakers and SoundCard

a) The Laptop has 3 Ports on the side- Pink,Green,Black
Pink Port is LineIn for an external device player jack
Green Port is LineIn for the Microphone jack
Black Port is LineOut for Headset or External Speakers jack
Plug the Green jack on Headphone - into the Black Port on the laptop.
b) Go to Control Panel and open - RealTek HD Audio manager
On the top of Page are 3 Icons -
One Icon is labelled Speakers One is for Digital optics, one is for Mic,
The Speakers Icon is misleading as it is also for Headphones (LineOut)
Select Speaker Icon and make it Default. Also tick Full Range - Front LR
Ignore the 4 vertical Analog Icons on the right side.
You should now have Headphone sound if your volume is not Muted.
Hope this works for Y'all.

Answer
+37
moins plus
I gotta HP and the front headphone jack works when i put in headphones. But it doesnt work when i try to connect it into a stereo system or in a home theater system ( IVE DONE IT BEFORE and it used to always work until today it just stopped) CAN some1 plz help

ikonane- May 4, 2010 06:29AM
I've got the same problem.

Help please
Answer
+28
moins plus
try right clicking the speaker icon and going to playback devices/ plug in headphones, write click the headphone icon go to test/ see if you here anything then set the headphones to default it worked for me.if that does not work try updating your audio driver/if that does not work try uninstalling your audio driver and installing a new one like realtec audio driver.

Newbie- May 23, 2009 02:53PM
I tried that, went to "playback devices" and then did a test to see if I can hear anything coming from the headphones. I did hear the sound, and set the headphones to "default" but that still didnt fix the problem. The sound still comes from my speakers and not headphones. BTW everything was working properly for me until my laptop crashed just recently and I had to take it in to Staples where they restored it.
mel- Jun 17, 2009 06:56PM
i tried the test thing and the test worked through the headphones but when i play anything eles it still only comes out the speakers
Answer
+28
moins plus
How do you restart an app?

Answer
+27
moins plus
The application will not recognise the different output device until you restart the app. The different audio output device needs to be set as default (in Control panel Sounds) and then you need to restart the app. It should then automatically use the new default device.
I was also hoping that someone had written a utility to force this change, but I suspect it's application dependent.

blahblahblah- Nov 11, 2009 07:31PM
Thankyou sooooooooooooooooo much. So simple!
i_me- Apr 27, 2010 09:36PM
whoever you are! thanks a lot.......
it was getting on my nerves , as there was no sound in headphone.....anyways thanks.
Computer_Nub39389- May 4, 2010 12:08AM
U R GOD! thanks for the help.
jorrrrrrrrdyyy- Jun 26, 2010 02:18PM
smashing
tif- Jun 30, 2010 10:37PM
thank you iy acually worked wow!!!
Answer
+22
moins plus
i have a sager np9280 with windows 7, and my earphones were working fine up until just a while ago, all of a sudden no sound will come from them. the speakers turn off as usual when i plug them in. i think it may be a hardware problem since i tried all that stuff.

keer- Jun 18, 2010 07:04AM
hi..in my hcl laptop..right audio output is not coming wnever i put my head phones..but both left and right chanels do work after removing the phone.pls cn u gv me a suggn??
Answer
+19
moins plus
Faced with the same problem I found resetting the default output from the Control Panel did the trick.

davidliuzhou- May 26, 2009 10:36AM
I been following the threads, but I am using Vista, can't find the Manage audio devices under Hardware and Sound in Control Panel, and I am experience same problem as others, can't detect audio jack or external speakers, still in the process of figuring out whether that's a simple setting problem or hardware problem. I did try roll back to many different version of old drivers and latest drivers, didn't solve my problem.
kevb- Mar 19, 2010 08:45PM
old drivers can make it worse. I also haev same problem, and only way seems to be alternating setting headphones and speakers as eh default.
Control panel>sounds will bring up teh wondow in Vista.
Then get teh appllcation in post below for a quick change option rather than opening control panel all the time
Answer
+18
moins plus
I had no sound on my headphones for a week or two.
Thank you so much. It worked out perfectly.

Answer
+15
moins plus
thank you! it had help me a great deal from spending money to get it repair

Answer
+15
moins plus
Did what you said and solved the problem. Somehow the balance on the headphone jack had been moved all the way to the left channel. Fixed the problem in seconds, THANK YOU, saved me lots of messing around.

Answer
+14
moins plus
ok, i did find that place where the little GUI LED senses the jack is plugged in or not, apparently my LED doesn't light up when I plug in the audio jack. I assume it's the hardware problem with that audio panel pass through board, updating drivers didn't seem to help, and opening the laptop up there was no loose connection anywhere, will find out when my new panel board arrives next week.

noura- Apr 14, 2010 06:18AM
hi Davidliuzhou, I think I have a similar problem... my pc have been opened up and since then I cant hear through my headphones unless i press them I bit down.... do you think it is loose connection or sth that has been cut up??
Answer
+13
moins plus
the new panel board did not solve the problem, still don't know what's wrong! tried updating the driver, tried replace hardware (pass through board with audio jacks), none of them worked, wondering if it's firmware like that jack sense sensor or something hidden that I can't fix.

Answer
+13
moins plus
On my Acer Extensa 5220 I had the same problem. Running XP, download the driver "WDM_R249" from the Realtek site and install it. Solved the problem. I notice that I have had to do this a few times over the past 6 to 8 months. I agree with previous posts that the hardware is so unstable it needs constant software upgrades. I have no idea but this has worked for me

Answer
+12
moins plus
hi.. i had the same problem whit my laptop when i installed win 7 - fujitsu siemens AMILO Xa 25288 - sound coming out from laptop speakers, but none from plugged in headphones or speakers...

i went to fujitsu support page and downloaded the sound driver for my laptop.... installed it and it works really good....(the driver was for vista not for win 7)

so try downloading your laptops driver...

Answer
+12
moins plus
how can i hear from my laptop computer

Answer
+12
moins plus
I find some powerful while Free multi-media softwares,you may download it from http://www.antsdvd.com/download.html

Answer
+11
moins plus
My sound won't work how to get it to work.I have a touch screen above the keys....what to do

1 2 Next
This document entitled « no sound from my laptop headphone jack » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.