Toshiba black screen won't start

Solved/Closed
M Cee - Mar 3, 2011 at 04:09 PM
 jayland - Aug 4, 2019 at 05:43 PM
Heyy, please help!!

Okay, so here's the thing, my Toshiba Satellite A305 has been giving me a really hard time lately. First of all, it's been shutting down unexpectedly before (and I'm pretty it's because it overheats), but now, it won't even start!

When I power it up, it only shows the TOSHIBA screen with the F2 and F12 options, but after that, nothing else happens. There's only a black screen, not even a cursor or anything. Nothing else happens until it shuts down.

Please help!
Related:

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 4, 2011 at 05:20 PM
@djsmurf

If M Cee does not have any data to save, he can restore:

Toshiba laptops from mid 2007 onwards dont have a recovery disc supplied with a purchase of a laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the same files on a recovery cd / dvd.

To reinstall your laptop to the factory settings / "out of the box" settings, please follow these steps.

ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE IF YOU PROCEED. YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. DO NOT SWITCH OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS.

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.
Okay, I'm all for trying this, but two questions.
Would I need a CD/DVD for this though?
If, and because my Toshiba is notorious for shutting down unexpectedly, it shuts down during the process...what'll happen then?
djsmurf Posts 98 Registration date Friday January 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 30, 2011 19
Mar 4, 2011 at 08:39 PM
No CD or DVD needed.

(Because you think heat was causing your shutdowns) I would keep it in a place where the fan is getting a decent amount of air.

It will be drawing the recovery files from a hidden partition on the hard drive, if it would shutdown before the install finished you would just need to restart the process.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 5, 2011 at 04:25 AM
M Cee
djsmurf is entirely correct, please follow his advice.
I'm sorry if I'm doubting this a little, but a reason why I didn't really look for ways to restore my Toshiba to out-of-the-box conditions is because I have a friend who tried to restore his Acer (he just wanted to restore it; mainly because he's just sick of how slow it is), and it turned off, and after that, he couldn't turn it on anymore. Totally wasted.

So I just want to ask how confident are you with this? I'm willing to try, but I really am pretty scared.
i did the thing you said about the holding 0 it beeped came up to the black screen with the arrow and it was loading for 2 seconds the prompt screen isnt coming up its just sitting there on the black screen ive only had this computer for 2 weeks I have a toshiba c655d-s5200 I honestly dont know what to do everyone keeps saying its the hard drive but the fan is running still and my grandma got me this she only had a 15 day warranty on it and it didnt come with a disk so im stuck on what to do at this point please help me