Windows live messenger wont install

Solved/Closed
....... - Dec 31, 2008 at 07:17 AM
 PYL - Nov 7, 2011 at 09:42 PM
whenever i try to install new windows live messenger, it wont work. i've kept goin over and over it agen but it just wont work. so i tried another one and that wouldn't work either. i have used it before and it worked ok, but then it started to sign me out automatically.
Related:

7 responses

like wise i cannot instal windows live 2009 on xp service pack 3
it WAS running ok , but every week or two, it wont let me sign in, saying an error (i think it is 81000803 meaning that host file neames cannot be resolved) so i after NONE of the advice works have to re-instal in after uninstaling...
this sometimes works (not that i SHOULD have to at all), but now and again it WONT reinstal as i thinks i already have it installed.
however i have even gone and deleted all left over files, and i cant get it to instal anything except writer, gallery, and othe rthings that i DONT need or want..
what is going on? and why does this happen almost EVERY WEEK:? and why should i bother putting up with it?
You might be able to reinstall the product if you download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/290301 Since you deleted all of the files, you cannot take advantage of this suggestion, but for others having issues repairing or uninstalling Windows Live Messenger, here is a quick way of accomplishing it:

If you have Windows Live 2008 or newer, there is a program file called "wlarp.exe" in the "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\installer" folder. Double-click this file, (right-click and choose "Run as Administrator on any version of Vista) and you should be presented with a dialog asking you to choose between uninstalling the product, or repairing your installation. I would try uninstalling the product, then reinstall it from a freshly downloaded installer. I would also download it directly from Microsoft, and not anywhere else. If you choose "repair", you will be required to reboot after it completes, so be prepared for this eventuality.

In the future, it is rarely necessary to delete a program's files, and, in some cases it can greatly complicate things, as these files are still registered in your computer's registry. It could cause your computer to stop booting. I would not attempt to delete any registry keys unless I made a backup of it first and was absolutely certain on what I was deleting. I hope this helps.
gnowave > jeffl
May 4, 2009 at 07:52 AM
no tried the cleaner ITS RUBBISH
best bet i found is a programme called ZapMessenger heres the link

http://www.msgstuff.com/news/post/515-zapmessenger-the-perfect-fix-for-install-issues-with-messenger/
all of the msn advice has fallen short rather then (like politicvians) admitting the latest version of msn has been released too early and is bug-ridden.

heres my msn story so far...
with latest version (the 2009 latest) after a week or so, it cant log in , not being able to resolve host file names, and NONE of the advice at all worked.
so had to un-instal... and did so.
when trying to re-instal, it wouldnt as it thinks it already is!
so got advice from NO-msn person, who said unistal it and live sign in assistant and THEN use this (ZapMessenger) so i did that, and ALL IS WELL
so is only a matter of uninstaling both msn and sign in assist, THEN use ZapMessenger, THEN re-intal...
BUT DONT re-INSTAL latest msn, use at most VERSION 8, ok?

now i can use it as much as i like and even when i get those stupid error messages that I GET WITH NO OTHER MESSENGER, i uninstal and ZapMessenger it, it works every time none of this tech-shit to deal with..

msn is the ONLY messenger yo get as much crap from, they REALLY NEED TO GET A GRIP, AND ADMIT THEY ARE NOT THE WORLDS LEADING, in fact it is the POOREST messemger despite its attempts at sophistry.

a shame, as many folk use it and due to their lack of tech knowledge THINK IT IS THEIR FUAULT...

ok, bye
Venom091 > gnowave
Oct 12, 2009 at 10:35 AM
Wow thanks, this really helped me, I had been stuck on this for a while!
gnowave > jeffl
Oct 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM
actually the cleaner NEVR works with this..
the only one that does anything noticable is shootmessenger

in fact now i dont even bother at al, to use msn messenger...
last time i tried it was unbeleivable

i was on a previous version, and "happy" with it, then as i tried to log in (now this is CO-ERSION) i got pop-up "requesting" that i updated..
it gave me a "choice", or appeared to be at any rate...

i clicked no, but as i tried to log in again up it pops disallowing me to log in!! now i RESENT THAT.... it is MY pc and shud be MY choice...

so i finally relented and let it in..
what did it do??
took unreasonable time to instal, then when it opened and i logged in, NO ADDRESSES!! i have tried countless times to reinstal etc etc etc , followed ALL advice, now i just dont nother!
use instead poidgin and aMSN, not perfect, but they dont bullshit me
gnowave > Venom091
Oct 12, 2009 at 10:40 PM
actually i have given up totally on msn!
read reply to an above message and you'll see what happened!
now uyuse pidgin and aMSN
Hey,
please help,
my msn wont let me download the old version, as it is better then the new one, it keeps saying i have the new one updated, and i need to uninstall it,
i have gone through all my files and everything uninstalling and deleting them, and it still saids the same thing.

what can i do to get the old messenger to download and work, without it saying i have the new version (when i have already uninstalled it)
it also installs some parts like mail, and family safety, but i don't want that, all i want is the old messenger back.
Please help
Thanks.
Try this one,
Zap MSN Live
get it at the site below - it worked for me

http://www.msgstuff.com/news/post/515-zapmessenger-the-perfect-fix-for-install-issues-with-messenger/
snowbunny1597@yahoo.com Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2009
Oct 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM
wow thats awsome!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Try this Windows Live Messenger Uninstaller v0.01 tool:
http://blog.eddsn.com/2009/12/windows-live-messenger-uninstaller-v0-01/

It is free, softpedia certified and should solve the problem in your case.
hola atodos
hey, so i had a problem with being unable to install the program because it kept saying that there was a 'newer verison' installed even though i had gone to add/remove programs to get rid of the newer one.

BUT the 'wlarp.exe' file suggested above worked for me!! :D so try that if other stuff isn't working?